Zags Fall To No. 54 BYU In WCC Championships Opener
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 9 seed Gonzaga University men's tennis team's wrapped up its season with a 4-0 defeat to No. 4 seed and 54th-ranked BYU in the opening round of the West Coast Conference Championships Wednesday.
The Bulldogs finished the season 9-13 overall and had five players post double-digit wins in singles competition. Senior Scott Sullivan led the Zags with 23 wins and closed out his outstanding career at GU with three 10-plus wins in four years. Alvaro Nazal also put together an impressive performance in his rookie campaign by finishing behind Sullivan with 21 singles victories. Zhia Hwa Chong concluded his career as a Zag with 19 wins, Olivier Jamin posted 15 victories in his first year in as a Zag and Levin Guillermo collected 11 wins to secure his second consecutive 10-win season.
Leading the effort in doubles this year were Sullivan and Chong, who together finished the season with a 14-9 overall record and became the first Zags to receive a national ranking in program history when they checked in at No. 79 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's Top 90 doubles rankings last week.
The Cougars (15-8) swept all three doubles matches and then clinched singles victories on courts one, three and four. Chong and Sullivan dropped an 8-4 decision at No. 1 doubles to 86th-ranked Georgy Batrakov and Patrick Kawka. The No. 3 pairing of Jake Davis and Muzeen Ismath also played very well in their respective matches, but they fell 8-4.
In singles play, Nazal couldn't upset No. 61 Batrakov like he did in their last meeting April 6 as Batrakov won the second meeting 6-2, 6-1 on court one. Jamin also battled with a nationally-ranked opponent, but the junior fell to No. 118 Patrick Kawka 6-3, 6-1. The Cougars also clinched a point at No. 4 singles when Keaton Cullimore defeated Chong 6-3, 6-2.
The All-WCC teams will be announced later this week.
#54 BYU COUGARS 4, GONZAGA BULLDOGS 0
1. #61 BATRAKOV, Georgy (BYU) def. NAZAL, Alvaro (GON) 6-2, 6-1
2. GUILLERMO, Levin (GON) vs. SMITH, Spencer (BYU) unfinished
3. #118 KAWKA, Patrick (BYU) def. JAMIN, Olivier (GON) 6-3, 6-1
4. CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) def. CHONG, Zhia Hwa (GON) 6-3, 6-2
5. MIJATOVIC, Vladimir (GON) vs. SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) unfinished
6. SULLIVAN, Scott (GON) vs. ERASO, Michael (BYU) unfinished
1. #86 BATRAKOV, Georgy/KAWKA, Patrick (BYU) def. CHONG, Zhia Hwa/SULLIVAN, Scott (GON) 8-4
2. SARGEANT, Francis/SMITH, Spencer (BYU) def. MIJATOVIC, Vladimir/JAMIN, Olivier (GON) 8-1
3. CULLIMORE, Keaton/ERASO, Michael (BYU) def. DAVIS, Jake/ISMATH, Muzeen (GON) 8-4
BYU COUGARS 15-8; National ranking #54
GONZAGA BULLDOGS 9-13
Seeding: BYU No. 4; Gonzaga No. 9