SPOKANE, Wash. - Sophie Lantta earned a win in both singles and doubles play in her final match at home, but the Gonzaga University women's tennis team fell 5-2 loss to the University of Nevada in a non-conference match at the Spokane Racquet Club Sunday.
Although Nevada secured the doubles point with wins on courts one and two, Lantta teamed up with freshman Kylie Peek to beat Gabriela Eufrasio and Rymma Maslova 7-6 at No. 3 doubles and earn their fifth win of the season.
Lantta also earned her 11th singles win of the season after beating Juliette Legendre 7-5, 6-3 on court four. Although she lost the first set 1-6, Britta Stime regrouped and won the next two sets 7-6, 11-9 to beat Gabriela Eufrasio at No. 5 singles for her 12th win of the season and take home the Bulldogs second point.
Although they both dropped their singles matches, Parker and Zauere made sure their opponents earned it. Zauere battled in the first set but Sophie Stevens picked up 7-6 win followed by taking the second set 6-3 for the match point on court three. Parker looked to rally from a first-set loss, but Rymma Maslova held on to beat Parker 6-3, 7-5 on court six.
Bulldogs head coach D.J. Gurule said it was emotionally difficult to watch his seniors play.
"Unfortunately we couldn't get a win for the team on Senior Day," Gurule said. "It was tough to watch Sophie, Madeline and Kristina play their final home matches. They are so critical to our team, they define what it means to be a Zag. I have been very lucky and honored to have coached them the last four years. We will now work hard at finishing our regular-season on a winning note to gain momentum into the WCC championships."
The Bulldogs will get one final tune-up before the WCC Championships in two weeks as they head to the Bay Area to take on West Coast Conference foes Santa Clara University Saturday and the University of San Francisco Sunday. Both matches start at 11 a.m.
NEVADA WOLF PACK 5, GONZAGA BULLDOGS 2
1. OKHREMCHUK, Michelle (NEV) def. TEITZEL, Prue (GON) 6-3, 6-0
2. VERBERNE, Emma (NEV) def. EDWARDS, Katie (GON) 6-1, 6-2
3. STEVENS, Sophie (NEV) def. ZAUERE, Kristina (GON) 7-6, 6-3
4. LANTTA, Sophie (GON) def. LEGENDRE, Juliette (NEV) 7-5, 6-3
5. STIME, Britta (GON) def. EUFRASIO, Gabriela (NEV) 1-6, 7-6, 11-9
6. MASLOVA, Rymma (NEV) def. PARKER, Madeline (GON) 6-3, 7-5
1. OKHREMCHUK, Michelle/VERBERNE, Emma (NEV) def. EDWARDS, Katie/ZAUERE, Kristina (GON) 8-3
2. STEVENS, Sophie/LEGENDRE, Juliette (NEV) def. PARKER, Madeline/TEITZEL, Prue (GON) 8-3
3. PEEK, Kylie/LANTTA, Sophie (GON) def. EUFRASIO, Gabriela/MASLOVA, Rymma (NEV) 7-6
NEVADA WOLF PACK 6-9
GONZAGA BULLDOGS 9-9
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,6,3,2,5)