Gonzaga Track Opens Outdoor Season Saturday
March 17, 2017
Gonzaga at Buc Scoring
SATURDAY, MARCH 18, 2017 | SPOKANE | WHITWORTH PINE BOWL
FIRST GU EVENTS: Women - 11:15 a.m. (5000m) | Men - 10:15 a.m. (10,000m)
LIVE VIDEO: N/A
LIVE RESULTS: N/A
ZAGS OPEN OUTDOOR SEASON
- The Gonzaga women's and men's track programs start their outdoor schedules at the Buc Scoring Invite at nearby Whitworth University Saturday.
- This is the ninth straight year the Zags appear in the meet dating back to the 2009 season.
ABOUT THE MEET
- The Whitworth track and field team is set to host its first home meet of the season at Boppell Track in the Pine Bowl with the Buc Scoring meet on Saturday.
- Gonzaga University, Eastern Washington University, Central Washington University, the Community Colleges of Spokane and Lewis-Clark State College will join Whitworth at the meet.
LAST YEAR AT THE MEET
- Shelby Mills won the women's 5,000 meters with a time of 16:25.81. The time was not only a personal record by nearly 13 seconds, but it was also the third fastest time in program history.
- She was followed by Jordan Thurston in second place at 17:03.51. Olivia Evans was fifth at 18:28.46.
- The Gonzaga men swept the top six spots in the 5,000 meters led by Sumner Goodwin's first place finish. The sophomore crossed the line at 14:53.17. Goodwin edged out Vince Hamilton (14:53.23) at the line.
- In the men's steeplechase, Kyle Branch ran the fourth-fastest time in program history at 9:23.21, and placed first in the race. He was followed closely by Kellen Manley at 9:29.48.
- Maggie Jones dominated the 1,500-meter field en route to a first place finish at 4:39.14.
- In the men's 10,000 meters, Jack Pearce led a top-four sweep of Zags. He placed first with a time of 31:36.73.
PAT TYSON'S OUTLOOK
- "On the men's side, we are hoping to chase NCAA qualifying marks! Our bread and butter has been the 3000 Steeplechase. It takes a sub 9:00 to get to the first round in Austin. Troy Fraley and Kellen are veterans of that venue. We have great potential in 5,000 and10,000 too. Max Kaderabek, Dillon Quintana, Scott Kopczynski, Jake Perrin, Sumner Goodwin, Conor McCandless, Forest Tarbath, Ian Goldizen, Phillip Fishburn, Peter Hogan, Bennett Gagnon and Kyle Thompson lead the pack! Our middle distance crew is the deepest ever. They are led by Zac Garrard and Kinsly Smith. Our Spokane races will be test efforts, or as they say rust busters. We know that UCLA, Mt. SAC/ Bryan Clay and the Portland Twilight create the atmosphere to run really really fast! We are thankful that the snow is behind us and excited for the next few weeks! Again, our local meets will be used to get some racing in and simulate parts of what it will take to get to the highest stage in our sport, the NCAA finals at Oregon in June! Love these guys! Love the fact they are embracing a culture of excellence in all we do!"
PATTY LEY'S OUTLOOK
- "We're looking forward to the outdoor season, especially since the weather seems to be clearing (finally). Our ladies are excited and ready to get out and compete. Looking to be led outdoors by Jess Mildes, Amelia Evans, and Jordan Thurston with seniors Katy Culver, Emily Anderson, Molly Stroosma, Corrine Murray and juniors Claren Fraher and Olivia Evans looking to put themselves on the threshold of Regional qualifying this year. Love getting back on the track!"
04/07/2018 - Track Posts Winning Times in Wet Weather
04/05/2018 - Track Returns to Spokane for WAR XI
03/30/2018 - Zag Steeplechasers Highlight Big Night in the Bay
03/28/2018 - Zags' Track Heads for Bay Area for Elite Meets
03/23/2018 - Pollard and Villarma Collect Wins at Whitworth
03/23/2018 - Thurston Wins 5K Title at Sam Adams Invite
03/21/2018 - Track Returns to Whitworth for Sam Adams Invite