Track Returns to Whitworth for Meet
March 23, 2017
Day One results
Gonzaga at the Sam Adams Classic
THURSDAY-FRIDAY, MARCH 23-24, 2017 | SPOKANE | WHITWORTH PINE BOWL
FIRST GU EVENTS FRIDAY: 3:55 p.m. (Women’s 1500m)
LIVE VIDEO: N/A
LIVE RESULTS: N/A
ABOUT THE MEET
- The Whitworth track and field team is set to host the 12th annual Sam Adams Classic Thursday and Friday.
- Washington State, Idaho, Eastern Washington, Gonzaga, Great Falls, Spokane Community College and Lewis-Clark State will compete at the meet.
LAST YEAR AT THE MEET
- Claren Fraher coasted to the women’s 1,500-meter title with a time of 4:48.16 was nearly three seconds faster than the rest of the field last year at the Sam Adams Classic.
- Amanda Kiefer finished first in the women’s 5,000 meters. The freshman crossed the line at 19:21.28. It was her debut in the event for the Bulldogs. Monica Ripple placed third in 22:20.29.
- Graham Wendle came in third in the men’s 5,000 meters. His time of 15:45.83 was just ahead of fellow Zag Ciaran O’Leary in fifth at 15:55.94.
ZAGS OPEN MEET IN 5K
- The women’s and men’s 5,000-meter races kicked off the 2017 Sam Adams Classic Thursday night.
- Gonzaga’s Stefan Bradley took the men’s 1,500-meter title with a time of 15:03.54. Hunter Simpson (15:13.52), Coby Eastwood (15:14.24) and Ciaran O’Leary (15:15.31) were fourth, fifth and sixth.
- In the women’s 1,500 meters, Amanda Kiefer placed third at 18:20.72, while Claire Manley crossed the line at 18:36.41. Megan Glenski, Kelly Gilbert and Elena Slavoski finished sixth, seventh and eighth.
PAT TYSON’S 5K RECAP
- “While the Zags were fighting West Virginia in hoops, our four 5,000-meter runners fought hard against six Idaho Vandals on the first day of Sam Adams Invite! Stefan Bradley would take first closing in 64 seconds in his first ever try in the 12.5 lap race! Fellow freshman Hunter Simpson ran a 26-second personal record in placing fourth. Coby Eastwood was fifth with a major personal best, with sophomore Ciaran O’Leary getting his best time by over 20 seconds with a nice opening 15:15.31.”
PATTY LEY’S 5K RECAP
- “I was really pleased with the effort. These were good early season efforts and set us up well for the next few weeks. Excellent race by Amanda Kiefer, she didn’t get caught up in the early fast pace and just kept closing the gap on the athletes in front of her. Claire Manley and Megan Glenski have grown already this year and that is beginning to show in races. Both showed nice maturity and good competitiveness in their first 5ks on the track. Great weather this evening, keeping my fingers crossed it holds for tomorrow, but excited for the racing to come.”
04/05/2018 - Track Returns to Spokane for WAR XI
03/30/2018 - Zag Steeplechasers Highlight Big Night in the Bay
03/28/2018 - Zags' Track Heads for Bay Area for Elite Meets
03/23/2018 - Pollard and Villarma Collect Wins at Whitworth
03/23/2018 - Thurston Wins 5K Title at Sam Adams Invite
03/21/2018 - Track Returns to Whitworth for Sam Adams Invite
03/18/2018 - Zags Pick Up Wins in Outdoor Opener