Track Heads to Los Angeles for Distance Carnival
March 30, 2017
Gonzaga at the Bob Larsen Distance Carnival
FRIDAY, MARCH 30, 2017 | LOS ANGELES | DRAKE STADIUM
FIRST GU EVENTS: 5:08 p.m. (Men’s 1500m), 5:15 p.m. (Women’s 1500m)
LIVE VIDEO: GoZags.com via FloTrack
LIVE RESULTS: GoZags.com
ABOUT THE MEET
- For the second straight season Gonzaga is running at the Bob Larsen Distance Carnival.
- The UCLA track and field team will host its busiest weekend of the season as the Legends Invitational and the Bob Larsen Distance Carnival will be held on the oval inside Drake Stadium.
- The Distance Carnival is a single-day meet on Friday, and this year’s field includes runners from Colorado St., Utah State, Cheetahs Int’l (W), Stephen F. Austin, Club Run With Us (W), Rice, Long Beach (M), San Bernardino (M), Whittier (M), Portland State, Gonzaga, Pomona-Pitzer (M), Minnesota, Nevada (W), Loyola Marymount, Riverside, UC Riverside, Washington St., Cerritos, Cornell, Pepperdine, El Camino, Cornell, UC Riverside (W), Cal St. Northridge, UC Santa Barbara, Cal St. Fullerton, and UCLA.
LAST YEAR AT THE MEET
-Sumner Goodwin ran the fourth-fastest 5,000-meter time in program history. The sophomore crossed the line in the elite field at 14:18.43, which was ninth in the event.
- Kellen Manley jumped up the program’s all-time 3,000-meter steeplechase list. The sophomore’s time of 9:06.17 moved him from seventh to fourth in GU history.
- In the men’s 10,000 meters, Jack Pearce placed fourth at 30:16.68, which is fifth on the GU list.
- In the men’s 1,500 meters, Ian Goldizen ran the sixth-fastest time in program history. The junior finished at 3:52.17, placing fourth in the event.
- Jordan Thurston placed second in the women’s elite 5,000 meters with a time of 16:52.04, which moved her from eighth to seventh on the all-time program list.
- Mason Villarma (4:05.81) and Zac Garrard (4:06.09) were sixth and seventh in the men’s elite mile.
PAT TYSON’S OUTLOOK
We are excited to compete in a great atmosphere and in great weather in Westwood. The Bob Larsen Distance Festival is just that, a series of races that fit the needs of the 14 men and 14 women athletes selected to go to the show. Our goal is to engage and contend for the win in each race and get fast times. UCLA has a lot of depth and is well coached by former Gonzaga assistant coach Forest Braden, expect them to help make fast races. Add in University of Minnesota, Kansas State, Loyola Marymount, Colorado State, Long Beach State, Santa Barbara, Cornell, Rice, Nevada, Utah State, and several other teams. There definitely will be an atmosphere that produces NCAA qualifying marks.
04/13/2018 - Track Takes Short Trek to Cheney
04/07/2018 - Track Posts Winning Times in Wet Weather
04/05/2018 - Track Returns to Spokane for WAR XI
03/30/2018 - Zag Steeplechasers Highlight Big Night in the Bay
03/28/2018 - Zags' Track Heads for Bay Area for Elite Meets
03/23/2018 - Pollard and Villarma Collect Wins at Whitworth
03/23/2018 - Thurston Wins 5K Title at Sam Adams Invite