Track Runs at Spokane Falls Friday and Saturday
April 6, 2017
Gonzaga at the Northwest Scoring Clash
FRIDAY-SATURDAY, APRIL 7-8, 2017 | SPOKANE | SFCC STADIUM
FIRST GU EVENTS: Friday at 7 p.m. (Men’s 10,000m), 7:45 p.m. (Women’s 10,000m)
LIVE VIDEO: N/A
LIVE RESULTS: N/A
ABOUT THE MEET
- The Zags will take on the some of the region’s best at the 10th annual Northwest Scoring Clash, or Washington versus the Region (WAR X) at Spokane Falls Community College.
- The yearly event that continues to build momentum welcomes programs from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. The event continues to grow each year and attract new programs.
- Last year’s meet included; The Community Colleges of Spokane, Central Washington, Northwest, Gonzaga, Saint Martin’s, Seattle, Trinity, Washington State, Everett Community College, Whitman, and Whitworth will unite and score against Carroll College (Mont.), Eastern Oregon, Treasure Valley Community College (Ore.), Lewis-Clark State (Idaho), Northwest Nazarene (Idaho), University of Great Falls (Mont.), and Montana State Billings.
LAST YEAR AT THE MEET
- Maggie Jones led from start-to-finish in the women’s 1,500 meters. Teammate Shelby Mills came in third at 4:43.39. Jordan Thurston broke her personal record by 16 seconds at 4:43.90 and finished fourth.
- Molly Foster ran the first 400-meter hurdles for Gonzaga since the `90s. She came away with a time of 1:10.59, which ranks second on the Bulldogs’ all-time list.
- Emily Anderson ran the third-fastest women’s 400-meter time in program history. She crossed the line at 1:00.79 in 11th place.
- Mason Villarma ran the fourth-best 800-meter time in men’s program history. The freshman crossed the line at 1:52.30.
- In the men’s 1,500 meters, Sumner Goodwin came in second at 3:51.82. His time ranks fifth all-time at Gonzaga.
- Gonzaga swept the top three spots in the men’s 5,000 meters led by a first-place finish from Kyle Branch. His winning time of 14:59.67 was just ahead of teammates Max Kaderabek (15:03.79) and Jack Pearce (15:07.51).
PAT TYSON’S OUTLOOK
Zag men track team are coming off their all-time greatest one day competitive individual efforts in Gonzaga history! Last Friday night’s showing at UCLA’S Drake Stadium was totally amazing. In particular, Troy Farley’s school record 8:45.14 was stunning. Our goal at the WAR X is to mix up our racing a bit to give the guys some variety, and a little bit of more speed for some and a little more strength for others. We have another fantastic opportunity to run fast next week in Sothern California at the MT. SAC and Bryan Clay meets, so we are using the WAR to simulate certain aspects of our racing needed in California. With a few of our runners having flu symptoms this week, it is nice to be home to get healthy and gain some confidence to continue doing what we did last week at UCLA.
PATTY LEY’S OUTLOOK
We are really looking forward to the meet. We saw some really good progress from our ladies who competed at UCLA last weekend and we’re excited to see that from everyone else. Just a touch warmer temperatures will really help as well. It isn’t as large a meet as last year, but competitive and a great chance to test and to race!
04/07/2018 - Track Posts Winning Times in Wet Weather
04/05/2018 - Track Returns to Spokane for WAR XI
03/30/2018 - Zag Steeplechasers Highlight Big Night in the Bay
03/28/2018 - Zags' Track Heads for Bay Area for Elite Meets
03/23/2018 - Pollard and Villarma Collect Wins at Whitworth
03/23/2018 - Thurston Wins 5K Title at Sam Adams Invite
03/21/2018 - Track Returns to Whitworth for Sam Adams Invite