Track Runs for Records in Southern California
April 12, 2017
Gonzaga at the Bryan Clay Invitational and Mt. SAC Relays
THURSDAY-FRIDAY, APRIL 13-14, 2017 | TORRANCE, CA | AZUSA, CA
FIRST GU EVENTS: Thursday at 2 p.m. (Men's 5000m), 3:40 p.m. (Women's 5,000m)
ABOUT THE MEET
- After a weekend at home for the Northwest Scoring Clash, the Gonzaga track programs will send a select number of runners to the Mt. SAC Relays and Bryan Clay Invitational Thursday and Friday.
- Six Zags will travel to the Mt. SAC Relays in Norwalk, Calif.
- The 58th annual Mt. Sac Relays is the largest track and field competition in the world with over 13,500 competitors competing over three weekends and six days.
- This marks the second year the Mt. SAC Relays will not be run at Hilmer Lodge Stadium, due to a $62-million-dollar renovation with intent to bid for the 2020 US Olympic Track and Field Trials.
- This year's Mt. SAC Relays will be run at Murdock Stadium at El Camino College.
LAST YEAR AT THE MEET
- One year after Willie Milam set the Gonzaga men's 10,000-meter record at the Mt. SAC Relays, Matthew Crichlow broke that record at the same meet last season. Crichlow, who set a previous personal best of 30:07.27 at 2015's Mt. SAC Relays, crossed the line at 29:45.54 in 2016.
- The previous top three times in program history were all set at the 2015 Mt. SAC Relays, as Troy Fraley's time of 30:07.13 was the second-best mark and Crichlow's old personal record was third.
- Sumner Goodwin finished his 10,000 meters at 30:07.63 and placed third. The redshirt sophomore's time is fourth in program history.
- Dillon Quintana came in 16th place in the race. He improved his two-week old personal record with a time of 30:35.54. The junior moved from 10th to ninth in GU history with the finish.
- Five of the current top-10 Gonzaga men's 10,000-meter times have been set at the Mt. SAC Relays. Of those five Mt. SAC marks, they all have been set in the past three seasons, with the top-four coming in the last two years.
PAT TYSON'S OUTLOOK
We are heading back to the warm belt! The 10,000 meters should be huge for Gonzaga! Nine men will compete in four different heats. Expect school records, NCAA qualifying marks, and a total reshaping of our top 10 list! Fraley and Perrin, both from Kalispell, Mont., are in the killer elite race with many top guns! International runners, top American club runners, and several All-Americans will be in the field of 35. On Friday, our middle distance runners are competing. In the 800, Kinsly Smith wants sub 1:50. That would give him a ticket to Austin and the Bryan Clay has great fast heats to make that happen. In the 1,500, Zac Garrard wants that ticket to Austin like all competitors. A 3:44.00 goes to the show and he has a 3:47.42 from UCLA. History shows great middle distance racing at Clay!
PATTY LEY'S OUTLOOK
At Mt. SAC, Jessica Mildes will be running in the elite heat at 8:30 and is really excited. The 10k is a unique event because of the level of "restraint" required early in order to truly race later in the event. This is an excellent field! Our first goal is to get a regional qualifier and the second to PR. This has been a great venue for Jess. It was here three years ago that she ran this same heat and set the National Junior College record. At Bryan Clay, on Thursday we will have Katy Culver, Olivia Evans and Jordan Thurston in the 5000m. Jordan is returning from a knee issue that cost her a little over a month of training. We will be looking to set up for a late season run at a possible regional qualifying time. Katy is ready to take a swing at the 17:00 barrier this week as well - which could possibly set her up for a similar run late in the season. We are looking for Olivia to drop into the mid 17s. On Friday, we are looking for great racing and good PRs from the ladies that day!
02/01/2018 - Gonzaga in Moscow and Pullman this Weekend
01/27/2018 - Zags Post Solid Showing in Mile at UW Invitational
01/26/2018 - Hogan Runs Sixth-Fastest Indoor 5K in Program History
01/25/2018 - Zags Return to Dempsey Center for UW Invite
01/20/2018 - Pollard and Heffelfinger Win Events at WSU Indoor Open
01/19/2018 - Track Heads to Pullman for WSU Indoor Open
01/13/2018 - Pollard Runs Second-Fastest Indoor Mile in Program History
Baseball03/16/2018Women's Basketball02/24/2018Women's Basketball02/22/2018Men's Basketball02/17/2018