Track Returns to the Palouse for Cougar Invitational
April 28, 2017
Gonzaga at the Cougar Invitational
SATURDAY, APRIL 29, 2017 | PULLMAN, WA | MOOBERRY TRACK & FIELD COMPLEX
FIRST GU EVENTS: 12:15 p.m. (Men’s Steeplechase), 12:50 p.m. (Women’s 1,500m)
LIVE VIDEO: N/A
LIVE RESULTS: N/A
BULLDOGS RETURN TO THE PALOUSE:
- This will be the sixth time, and second since 2011, that the Bulldogs have competed in the Cougar Invitational.
- Now in its 17th year, the meet on the Palouse features student-athletes from Washington State, Gonzaga, Idaho, Lewis-Clark State, George Fox, Whitworth, and Community Colleges of Spokane.
LAST TIME AT THE MEET:
- In 2015, Shelby Mills and Troy Fraley both broke meet records at the 15th annual Cougar Invitational.
- In the women’s 5,000 meters, Mills won the event with a personal record time of 16:38.77.
- The Zags had the top three finishes in the event, as Maggie Jones (17:10.80) and Zoe Urcadez (17:52.85) placed second and third.
- Fraley broke the 15-year-old meet record in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase. The sophomore took first place in the event with a time of 9:13.39. Nick Roche placed second at 9:18.43.
- The Zags swept the top five finishes in the men’s 1,500 meters. Andy Phillips took first at 3:53.14. Brandon Pollard (3:54.84) and Matthew Crichlow (3:55.31) followed closely behind in second and third.
- Robert Walgren had a second place finish in the 5,000 meters at 14:55.25.
- In the women’s 1,500 meters, Katy Culver placed second with a time of 4:52.21. Corrine Murray (4:55.19) and Olivia Evans (4:57.18) both had personal records and finished in fourth and fifth.
ZAG MEN WELCOME FOUR SIGNEES
- The Gonzaga men’s cross country and track programs will welcome four new members to their 2017-18 rosters, Director of GU Cross Country and Track and Field Pat Tyson announced Thursday.
- Yacine Guermali joins Gonzaga after a stellar career at Camas High School. He won the Washington Class 4A state cross country title this past fall.
- On the track as a junior, Guermali had bests of 4:19.98 in the 1,600 meters (9th at state), 9:18.87 in the 3,200 meters (6th at State) and a personal best of 8:32.15 over 3,000 meters.
- Luke Mason makes the trek north from Brophy Prep in Phoenix, Ariz. He was the first of this year’s signing class to make a verbal commitment.
- After placing third at the Arizona Div. I state championships his junior season, he crossed the line in second his senior year.
- In track, Mason won the Div. I state 3,200-meter title as a junior. He placed third in the 1,600 meters at last year’s state championships, but currently is the state’s leader in the event.
- Sam McCloughan (Edmonds-Woodway HS) ran a 9:38.57 in the 3,200 meters and placed 10th at last year’s state championships.
- Cullen McEachern (Kamiak HS) placed 12th as a junior and cracked the top-10 as senior, finishing ninth in 2016.
06/26/2017 - Fishburn Places Third at USATF Junior Championships
06/23/2017 - Mildes Named to CoSIDA Academic All-America First Team
06/09/2017 - Fraley Becomes GU's First-Ever Track All-American
06/07/2017 - Fraley Advances to Steeplechase National Finals
06/06/2017 - Fraley Runs at Nationals on Wednesday
05/27/2017 - Perrin's Phenomenal Freshman Year Ends at Prelims
05/26/2017 - Fraley Advances to Steeplechase National Semifinals
Women's Basketball01/20/2018Men's Basketball01/18/2018Women's Basketball01/13/2018Men's Basketball01/11/2018