Last Chance Meet for Fourteen Zags
May 13, 2016
GONZAGA BULLDOGS AT THE PORTLAND TWILIGHT
MEET 15 | MAY 15 | PORTLAND, OR | GRISWOLD STADIUM
FIRST GU RACES: Women- 6:15 p.m. (800m) | Men- 7:05 p.m. (1500m)
LIVE VIDEO: Live video available on GoZags.com via FloTrack
LIVE RESULTS: Live results available on GoZags.com
LAST CHANCE FOR FOURTEEN ZAGS:
- Fourteen Gonzaga student-athletes close their regular seasons at the Portland Twilight Sunday.
- The Portland Twilight is part of the Portland Track Festival, and run at Lewis & Clark College at Griswold Stadium on the Eldon Fix Track.
ABOUT THE MEET:
- As the last regular home meet of the season, this is the last day for athletes to qualify for NCAA Nationals.
- There will be 275 athletes total competing at the Portland Twilight, coming from Canada, Texas, California, Washington, Idaho, and Oregon.
- Though this meet is only in its third year, Portland coach Rob Conner comments on the popularity and importance of this meet, stating that: “The Portland Twilight meet has really exploded as the premier non-conference meet in the nation this weekend.”
LAST TIME AT THE MEET:
- With just hours left in the qualifying window for the NCAA West Preliminaries, Andy Phillips punched his ticket to the postseason in dramatic fashion at the 2015 Portland Twilight with a time of 3:43.90.
- Phillips not only qualified for next week’s NCAA West Preliminaries in Austin, Texas, he broke the Gonzaga 1,500-meter program record.
- Brandon Pollard qualified for the USATF Junior Outdoor Championships with a time of 3:48.85.
- The freshman’s time is sixth on the Gonzaga all-time list. He finished second in his heat, and 12th overall in the event. Jerry Sicalo ran the previous 10th fastest time in program history at 3:53.54.
- Kinsly Smith and Kyle Branch ran the ninth and 10th best times in GU history in the 800 meters. Smith’s time of 1:54.99 and Branch’s time of 1:55.52 were fifth and sixth in the second heat.
- In the 5,000 meters, Matthew Crichlow led a quartet of Zags with a fourth place finish at 14:26.16.
MILLS IN A GOOD SPOT:
- With just a few days left to qualify for the NCAA West Preliminaries, Shelby Mills has the fourth-fastest 3,000-meter steeplechase time in the region and the ninth-best in the country.
- She broke her own program record at the West Coast Invitational in Salem, Ore., Thursday.
- Mills easily won the race on Willamette University’s Charles Bowles Track with a time of 9:56.17. Her finish was 10 seconds faster than her previous personal record.
- The redshirt junior was just three seconds off of an Olympic Trials qualifying mark.
MANLEY JOINS THE CONVERSATION:
- Kellen Manley is now in a great spot for the NCAA West Preliminaries after an 8:57.75 finish at the West Coast Invitational Thursday. His time is currently 36th in the west region.
- He placed second in the race at 8:57.75, nearly five seconds faster than his previous personal record.
- The sophomore moved from third to second on the program’s all-time list in the event.
06/23/2017 - Mildes Named to CoSIDA Academic All-America First Team
06/09/2017 - Fraley Becomes GU's First-Ever Track All-American
06/07/2017 - Fraley Advances to Steeplechase National Finals
06/06/2017 - Fraley Runs at Nationals on Wednesday
05/27/2017 - Perrin's Phenomenal Freshman Year Ends at Prelims
05/26/2017 - Fraley Advances to Steeplechase National Semifinals
05/25/2017 - Mildes Ends Stellar Career at Preliminaries
Women's Basketball01/13/2018Men's Basketball01/11/2018Women's Basketball01/06/2018Women's Basketball01/04/2018