Track Trio Ready for NCAA Preliminary Round
May 23, 2017
Gonzaga at the NCAA West Preliminaries
THURSDAY-SATURDAY, MAY 25-27, 2017 | AUSTIN, TX | MIKE A. MYERS STADIUM
FIRST GU EVENTS: Thursday - 7 p.m. (Jessica Mildes - Women's 10,000m)
LIVE VIDEO: GoZags.com
LIVE RESULTS: GoZags.com
ZAG TRIO READY FOR NCAA REGIONAL ROUND:
- Jessica Mildes, Troy Fraley and Jake Perrin will represent Gonzaga Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the NCAA West Preliminaries hosted by the University of Texas in Austin, Texas.
- In the program's young existence, Gonzaga has gone from its first qualifier, Emily Thomas, in 2012, to a trio of qualifiers in 2013 (Thomas, Lindsey Drake and Brent Felnagle), to Willie Milam and Nick Roche in 2014, a half-dozen qualifiers in 2015 (Fraley, Maggie Jones, Milam, Mildes, Shelby Mills and Andy Phillips), to this year's three entries.
ABOUT THE MEET:
- The NCAA West Preliminary will feature some of the nation's finest student-athletes from over 120 Division I schools located west of the Mississippi River.
- Athletes from those 121 institutions who rank among the top-48 in their respective events earn berths into the NCAA West Preliminary Round.
- The meet will serve as the qualifier for the NCAA Outdoor Championships held in Eugene, Ore., June 7-10.
- The fields of the various events will be whittled down from 48 to 12 by the meet's end, with those 12 athletes or relays teams earning berths to the NCAA Championships.
- Texas hosts the NCAA Championship West Preliminary after hosting the 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015 regionals as well.
- The other half of the nation will trek to Lexington, Ky., for the NCAA East Preliminary.
ABOUT THE TRACK:
- Made possible through the generous donations of UT benefactor Mike A. Myers, The Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field is home to the Texas Soccer and Texas Track and Field programs.
- The state-of-the-art facility possesses all the amenities that comprise the top dual-sport venues in the nation.
- The stadium seats more than 20,000 spectators and contains two separate scoreboards for track and soccer, full lighting for night events, and ample concessions areas.
- The track is a nine-lane European oval featuring a wider turn radius than traditional tracks to allow for more speed in the turns.
LAST YEAR AT THE MEET:
- In Lawrence, Kan., Shelby Mills automatically qualified for the 3,000-meter steeplechase national semifinals with a second-place finish in her heat. Mills' time of 10:09.76 was eighth overall in the three heats of the 48-runner field.
- Kellen Manley placed 12th in his heat, and 31st overall, in the men's 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:13.70.
- Maggie Jones capped off of her Gonzaga career with a stellar effort in the women's 5,000 meters. She finished eighth in her heat with a time of 16:43.62
GONZAGA'S HISTORY AT THE WEST PRELIMINARIES:
* 2012 | May 25 | Austin, Texas
Emily Thomas (JR, Washougal, Wash.)
- Placed 24th in the women's 10,000 meters with a time of 35:55.98. She qualified 36th in the region with a then-school record 35:01.46.
* 2013 | May 24,26 | Austin, Texas
Lindsey Drake (SR, Carlsbad, Calif.)
- Placed 22nd in the women's 5,000 meters at 16:40.19. She was seeded 35th with a then-school record time of 16:22.53
Brent Felnagle (SO, Tacoma, Wash.)
- Placed 42nd in the men's 1,500 meters at 3:58.33. He was seeded 47th with a then-school record 3:46.61.
Emily Thomas (SR, Washougal, Wash.)
- Placed 19th in the women's 10,000 meters at 36:01.23. She was seeded 23rd with a then-school record 34:41.97.
* 2014 | May 31-June 1 | Fayetteville, Ark.
Willie Milam (JR, Portland, Ore.)
- Placed 18th in the men's 5,000 meters at 14:19.40. He was seeded 34th with a then-school record 14:00.19.
Nick Roche (JR, Tigard, Ore.)
- Placed 39th in the men's 3,000-meter steeplechase at 9:17.31. He was seeded 37th with a then-school record 8:59.29.
* 2015 | May 28-30 | Austin, Texas
Troy Fraley (SO, Kalispell, Mont.)
- Placed 29th in the men's 3,000-meter steeplechase at 9:10.49. He was seeded 34th with the current school record 8:56.23.
Maggie Jones (JR, Richland, Wash.)
- Placed 36th in the women's 5,000 meters at 17:07.89. She was seeded 39th with a 16:27.86, which is fourth in program history.
Willie Milam (SR, Portland, Ore.)
- Placed 17th in the men's 5,000 meters at 14:15.05. He was seeded 26th with the current school record of 13:53.74.
Jessica Mildes (JR, Chattaroy, Wash.)
- Placed 39th in the women's 10,000 meters at 36:54.57. She was seeded 10th with the current school record of 33:40.82.
Shelby Mills (SO, Snohomish, Wash.)
- Placed 10th in the women's 3,000-meter steeplechase at 10:11.37. She
was seeded 14th with a then-school record 10:18.42.
Andy Phillips (SR, Jackson Hole, Wyo.)
- Placed 25th in the men's 1,500 meters at 3:50.40. He was seeded 26th with the current school record 3:43.90.
* 2016 | May 27-28 | Lawrence, Kan.
Shelby Mills (JR, Snohomish, Wash.)
- Placed eighth in the women's 3,000-meter steeplechase at 10:09.76. She was seeded sixth with the current school record 9:56.17. She advanced to the NCAA National Championships with her finish.
Maggie Jones (SR, Richland, Wash.)
- Placed 19th in the women's 5,000 meters at 16:43.62. She was seeded 48th with a time of16:28.29.
Kellen Manley (SR, Portland, Ore.)
- Placed 31st in the men's 3,000-meter steeplechase at 9:13.70. He was seeded 13th with the second-fastest time in program history at 8:57.75.
PAT TYSON'S OUTLOOK
Troy has the No. 1 collegiate steeplechase time in NCAA Div. 1 West or East. It's a great confidence booster for the Kalispell, Mont., lad! It should be a fun set of heats in Austin! Troy is physically and mentally ready. He has great instincts and is a madman over the water Jump. His experience two years ago at the University of Texas venue, competing in the 2016 USA Indoor Championships against heavy weights like Bernard Lagat, Galen Rupp, and Evan Jaeger, plus his 8:39.30 closing in 63.32 seconds last lap at Payton Jordan have calloused him for these situations! I am excited for Troy! He has matured and is really psyched to wear the Gonzaga jersey at the highest level in collegiate competition! Jake becomes the first Gonzaga pure freshman to compete at the NCAA championships. Like Troy, he is not afraid to get down and dirty with the big boys! Jake had to take 10 days off as he nursed a sore foot. So, he has bought a few more days to get back to excellent confident fitness. I wouldn't be surprised if Jake is in the hunt to challenge for a spot to the finals in Eugene. I am jacked for Jake and Troy! They are putting the Zags on the map! It's great for Gonzaga University, for our team, and for recruiting!
PATTY LEY'S OUTLOOK
Excited again for Jess, she has been a model of excellence and determination in her time here. The field looks to be very strong, but very even. It should make for a tightly packed race. Following Mt SAC, Jess has been putting in a lot of work. This week is about getting her `fresh' and giving her the best chance to finish in that top 12. Really proud of all she has done!
06/07/2017 - Fraley Advances to Steeplechase National Finals
06/06/2017 - Fraley Runs at Nationals on Wednesday
05/27/2017 - Perrin's Phenomenal Freshman Year Ends at Prelims
05/26/2017 - Fraley Advances to Steeplechase National Semifinals
05/25/2017 - Mildes Ends Stellar Career at Preliminaries
05/25/2017 - Mildes Named Academic All-District
05/23/2017 - Track Trio Ready for NCAA Preliminary Round
Men's Soccer09/22/2017Women's Volleyball09/21/2017Women's Basketball09/21/2017Women's Soccer09/17/2017