Cross Country Returns to Montana Invitational
Sept. 28, 2016
Gonzaga at the Montana Invitational
FRIDAY, SEPT. 30, 2016 | 9:30 AM PT | MISSOULA, MONT. | UM GOLF COURSE
ABOUT THE MEET:
- The University of Montana hosts its annual Montana Invitational Friday morning.
- The races will be run on the University of Montana Golf Course.
- The field includes Montana, Montana State, Gonzaga, Carroll, College of Idaho, Rocky Mountain, plus some unattached runners.
- Duals will be scored for the three Division I schools. The other three schools will be scored in the traditional way.
- The University of Montana Golf Course will once again host the races.
- It will be a three loop course for the men and two loop course for the women.
- It’s a mostly flat course, but it does have a steep hill that women run two times and men run three times.
THE ZAGS IN THE MONTANA INVITATIONAL:
- Several men’s runners ran unattached at last season’s Montana Invitational.
- Sumner Goodwin held off Casey Adams for the individual title with a time of 24:50.08. Adams time was 25:02.50.
- As a team, the unattached GU men finished second, placing six runners in the Top-30.
- The Bulldogs last ran in the event in 2014. The GU women and men both placed third.
- This will be the seventh time Gonzaga will compete in the meet since 2000.
- The GU women and men both placed second at the 2011 Montana Invitational. Lindsey Drake placed second that year to lead the Zag women.
- Amelia Evans came in second place at the 2014 Montana Invitational with a time of 17:33.
- Jordan Thurston is two-for-two so far this season in first-place finishes.
- She won the season-opening Clash of the Inland Northwest, before taking the women’s individual title at the Gonzaga-Idaho Dual.
AMONG THE BEST IN THE WEST:
- After winning both of their races this season, the Gonzaga men are ranked 12th in the West Region.
- The Zags have been ranked in each of the regional rankings this season.
- The Bulldogs were 12th in last week’s poll as well.
GONZAGA PLACES TRIO ON WCC PRESEASON TEAM:
- Troy Fraley represented the Bulldogs on the men’s team. Fraley will redshirt this season.
- Last season, Fraley was named All-WCC First Team after a ninth place finish at the West Coast Conference Championships in Spokane.
- Mildes and Thurston were both key in helping the Zags win the WCC title last season.
- Mildes is coming off of an All-Region season and a third place finish at the WCC Championships. Thurston was also First Team All-WCC last year with a seventh-place finish at the WCC championships.
10/25/2017 - Gonzaga Harriers Head to Conference Championships
10/14/2017 - Kaderabek Runs Sixth-Fastest 8K in Program History
10/12/2017 - Zags Split Squads at Pre-Nationals and Inland Empire
09/29/2017 - Gonzaga Men Place Fifth at Bill Dellinger Invitational
09/27/2017 - Gonzaga Harriers Head to Elite Races
09/16/2017 - Goodwin Leads Zag Men to Win
09/14/2017 - Cross Country Welcomes Idaho for Dual