Gonzaga Harriers Split Squads Saturday
Oct. 13, 2016
Gonzaga at the NCAA Pre-Nationals and the Inland Empire Classic
SATURDAY, OCT. 15, 2016 | TERRE HAUTE, IND. AND LEWISTON, IDAHO
ABOUT THE MEETS:
- For the 12th time since 2002, Indiana State University will host the Pre-National Invitational, a yearly preview of the NCAA Championship course for the best men’s and women’s collegiate cross country runners in the nation.
- Sixty-two men’s teams and 69 women’s teams will be running in the meet.
- The Inland Empire Classic’s field includes Lewis-Clark State, Washington State, Univ. of Idaho, Univ. of Calgary, Univ. of Montana, Gonzaga, Eastern Washington Univ., Spokane Falls, Eastern Oregon, Northwest Christian, Idaho State University, Univ. of Great Falls.
- The races will be run at the Lewiston Orchards once again this year. The course itself is 100-percent dirt or grass. It is a highly visible course with a start finish area that adds up to 1000 meters with a 2k loop that will be done twice for 5000m race and three times with a 1000m loop at the start for the men’s 8k.
- Located just a few miles east of the city of Terre Haute, the LaVern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course is the centerpiece of the Wabash Valley Family Sports Center. The course sits on the site of a reclaimed coal mine.
- The NCAA awarded the site the 2002 Division I Men’s and Women’s National Championship, the first of 11 such honors for Indiana State and LaVern Gibson. The course went on to host the NCAA Championship eight straight years (2004-2011) and then again in 2013 and 2014.
- Much of the course’s popularity is due to its challenging, yet manageable, mix of uphill and downhill sections and its simple straightaway start that stretches for nearly the first kilometer before a turn.
THE ZAGS IN THE INLAND EMPIRE CLASSIC:
- The GU women and men both placed first at last season’s Inland Empire Classic.
- This is the sixth appearance in the meet for Gonzaga.
- The Bulldog men have won the last two team titles.
POSTSEASON AROUND THE CORNER:
- This week’s races will be the final tune-ups for the Zag women and men before the postseason begins.
- Gonzaga is at the West Coast Conference Championships next on Oct. 28.
- The University of San Diego is hosting this year’s West Coast Conference Championships at Tecolote Shores Park in San Diego.
10/14/2017 - Kaderabek Runs Sixth-Fastest 8K in Program History
10/12/2017 - Zags Split Squads at Pre-Nationals and Inland Empire
09/29/2017 - Gonzaga Men Place Fifth at Bill Dellinger Invitational
09/27/2017 - Gonzaga Harriers Head to Elite Races
09/16/2017 - Goodwin Leads Zag Men to Win
09/14/2017 - Cross Country Welcomes Idaho for Dual
09/06/2017 - Thurston and Quintana Named Preseason All-WCC
Women's Basketball01/20/2018Men's Basketball01/18/2018Women's Basketball01/13/2018Men's Basketball01/11/2018