Feb. 22, 2018
Gonzaga Game Notes | Live Stats
Fri., Feb. 23 | 6:30 p.m. PT | Gonzaga vs. UC Irvine
RHP Daniel Bies
(0-0, 3.00) vs. RHP Andre Pallante (1-0, 0.00)
Sat., Feb. 24| 2 p.m. PT | Gonzaga vs. UC Irvine
RHP Mac Lardner (0-0, 2.70) vs. RHP Louis Raymond (0-0, 6.75)
Sun., Feb. 25 | 1 p.m. PT | Gonzaga vs. UC Irvine
RHP Alek Jacob (0-0, 3.38) vs. RHP Trenton Denholm (0-1, 11.25)
- Gonzaga went 2-2 at the season-opening Surprise Tournament in Surprise, Ariz.
- The Zags fell to Cal Poly and No. 2 Oregon State to open, then defeated Mountain West Conference favorite New Mexico and Cal Poly in a rematch to end the week.
- GU pounded out 16 hits in the loss to Cal Poly, which had six Zags collect at least two hits apiece.
- Redshirt freshman 3B Ernie Yake broke out in a huge way, going 4-for-6 in his collegiate debut against Cal Poly on Feb. 16. He had a double, three singles and scored twice.
- Yake also added a two-RBI game against New Mexico, in which each of his RBI broke a tie at the time.
- 1B Jake Vieth collected three hits and fell just a triple short of the cycle in a win over New Mexico. He’s riding a three-game hit streak into the UCI series and has four extra-base hits in four games (1 HR, 3 2Bs).
- LF Jace VanDeBrake collected hits in three of the first four games with a pair in each of the first two. - 2B Carson Breshears, whose older brother Dustin played shortstop for GU in 2015-16, collected at least one hit in all four of GU’s games last weekend.
- RF Daniel Fredrickson reached base five times in GU’s season-opening game, going 3-for-4 with two BBs. - CF Branson Trube blasted the first home run of his Zag career against Cal Poly in the final game of the tournament. The homer put GU ahead 5-4 in the sixth and the bullpen kept the score that way for the win.
- C Austin Pinorini was the most patient Zag of the weekend, walking five times in four games. Those five walks rank him first in the West Coast Conference and 31st nationally.
- The Gonzaga defense turned seven double plays in four games over the weekend. Those seven DPs rank them first in the West Coast Conference and seventh nationally through the first weekend.
- Gonzaga’s .987 fielding percentage is also first in the WCC and ranks 39th nationally.
- Gonzaga’s first three starters on the weekend either tied or broke career-highs for innings pitched, while Bies broke a career-high for strikeouts with seven against just one walk in 6.0 innings.
- Mac Lardner went a career-high 6.2 innings against the No. 2 team in the nation, Oregon State. He held the Beavers’ potent offense to just two earned runs on five hits.
- Freshman RHP Alek Jacob went 5.1 innings in his collegiate debut with five strikeouts. He combined with Calvin LeBrun and Casey Legumina to strike out 12 New Mexico batters.
- The Gonzaga bullpen collected both victories and both saves on the weekend. Each save was recorded with a perfect ninth inning. Casey Legumina struck out three New Mexico batters on Sunday for his second-career save, and Michael Spellacy cruised through a clean inning against Cal Poly for his first career save.
- GU starters combined for a 3.12 ERA in GU’s four games, allowing seven earned runs in 20.2 innings.
- The bullpen notched a 2.98 ERA on the weekend, allowing five earned runs in 15.1 innings.