March 2, 2018
Sunday, March 4 | 11 a.m. PT | Gonzaga vs. Milwaukee
RHP Daniel Bies (0-1, 3.75) vs. RHP Jake Sommers (1-1, 6.75)
Sunday, March 4 | 3 p.m. PT | Gonzaga at Sac State
RHP Alek Jacob (0-0, 2.38) vs. TBA
Monday, March 5 | 12 p.m. PT | Gonzaga at Sac State
RHP Mac Lardner (0-1, 4.26) vs. TBA
The Last Meeting
February 26, 2010
Martin Strikes Out 13 But Zags Falter In Final Frame
Gonzaga University starting pitcher Cody Martin struck out a career-high 13 hitters in an 8-2 loss to Sacramento State University in the Bulldogs first game at the Peoria College Showdown Tournament Friday evening.
HOME OPENER SHIFTED TO SACRAMENTO
- Due to recent and projected winter weather in Spokane, Gonzaga baseball cancelled its weekend home series and will travel to Sacramento, Calif., for a round-robin tournament with Milwaukee and host Sacramento State on Sunday and Monday.
- GU will play Milwaukee in the first game of a doubleheader and Sacramento State in the nightcap on Sunday. The Zags and Hornets will then wrap up the week on Monday at Noon. Milwaukee and Sac State will also play on Saturday night.
- Gonzaga went 1-2 in its three-game series at UC Irvine last weekend, winning game three of the series.
- In the win, GU came back from down a run in the top of the ninth inning with a sac fly from Daniel Fredrickson and then a 2-RBI single from Troy Johnston to give GU the lead 5-3. Casey Legumina then shut down the Anteaters in the home half of the ninth to complete the win.
- DH Troy Johnston is hitting .400 (4-for-10) with runners in scoring position on the season. After going 1-for-5 to start the season, he has three hits in his last five at-bats with RISP. That includes his ninth-inning, game-winning, two-RBI single against UC Irvine last Sunday.
- SS Gunnar Schubert enters the weekend with a current on-base streak of seven games, reaching in every game this season. He has at least one hit in five games, and has reached via walk or HBP in the other two.
- 1B Jake Vieth leads the team in hits (8), doubles (3), walks (6), RBI (5) and batting average (.320).
- Vieth collected three hits and fell just a triple short of the cycle in a win over New Mexico. He’s riding a three-game hit streak into the UCI series and has four extra-base hits in four games (1 HR, 3 2Bs).
- Redshirt freshman 3B Ernie Yake broke out in a huge way to start the season, going 4-for-6 in his collegiate debut against Cal Poly on Feb. 16. He had a double, three singles and scored twice.
- CF Branson Trube blasted the first home run of his Zag career against Cal Poly in the final game of the tournament. The homer put GU ahead 5-4 in the sixth and the bullpen kept the score that way for the win.
- The Gonzaga defense turned seven double plays in four games over the opening weekend. Along with two more against UC Irvine, GU now has a WCC-leading nine on the year, which also ranks 17th in the nation.
- Gonzaga’s .980 fielding percentage is also fourth in the WCC and ranks 57th nationally.
- RHP Daniel Bies broke a career-high for strikeouts with seven against just one walk in 6.0 innings in his first start of the year, then equaled those numbers against UC Irvine last weekend.
- Freshman RHP Alek Jacob went 5.1 innings in his collegiate debut with five strikeouts, followed that up with 6.0 innings against UC Irvine where he gave up just one earned run on five hits, while striking out four.
- The Gonzaga bullpen has collected all three victories on the season, along with a pair of saves during the opening weekend. Each save was recorded with a perfect ninth inning. Casey Legumina struck out three New Mexico batters on Sunday for his second-career save, and Michael Spellacy cruised through a clean inning against Cal Poly for his first career save.
- The GU staff has a 3.39 ERA on the year and has combined for 59 strikeouts in 61.0 innings.