March 8, 2018
LIVE VIDEO | LIVE STATS | GAME NOTES
Friday, March 9 | 4:30 p.m. PT
RHP Taylor Davis (1-1, 5.40) vs. RHP Matt Canterino (1-1, 1.86)
DH Game 1 | Saturday, March 10 | 12 p.m. PT
RHP Daniel Bies (1-1, 2.57) vs. RHP Kendal Jefferies (0-0, 2.45)
DH Game 2 | Saturday, March 10| 45 min after Game 1
RHP Alek Jacob (1-0, 1.47) vs. LHP Evan Kravetz (0-0, 13.50)
Sunday, March 11| 11 a.m. PT
RHP Mac Lardner (0-1, 4.15) vs. RHP Roel Garcia (0-0, 0.00)
- After winning the final game of a set at UC Irvine and all three in Sacramento - two vs. Sac State, one vs. Milwaukee - Gonzaga is on a four-game win streak heading into the series at Rice.
- Daniel Bies threw a complete game in a 4-1 win over Milwaukee, giving up just six hits, one run and striking out a career-high eight Panthers.
- Freshman Alek Jacob then put together an 11-strikeout performance against Sac State over 7.0 innings of one-run ball (unearned) and just two hits.
- The Zags relied on timely hitting and a staff effort to complete the weekend sweep. Mac Lardner (4.2), Taylor Davis (2.0), Calvin LeBrun (0.1) and Casey Legumina (2.0) combined to give up just three runs and strike out nine batters against Sac State on Monday.
ZAGS FACE RICE FOR FIRST TIME EVER
- Meeting for the first time in program history, Gonzaga and Rice will play a four-game set over three days in Houston, Texas.
- In three games last weekend, the Gonzaga offense combined to hit .352 as a team with a .421 on base percentage. The Zags had nine extra-base hits in that three-game span.
- 1B Jake Vieth continued his hot start to the season, going 5-for-9 with three walks and a hit-by-pitch, reaching base at a .692 clip over the course of three games.
- Vieth continues to lead the team in average (.382), doubles (4), home runs (2), RBI (8), slugging (.676) and on base percentage (.511). His OPS equates to an 1.187 clip, and he’s on a streak of nine straight games reaching base.
- SS Gunnar Schubert enters the weekend with a current on-base streak of 10 games, reaching in every game this season. He has at least one hit in eight of the 10 games, and has reached via walk or HBP in the other two.
- Schubert is also on a four-game hit streak and has collected multiple hits in a game four times this year.
- Redshirt freshman 3B Ernie Yake broke out in a huge way to start the season, going 4-for-6 in his collegiate debut against Cal Poly on Feb. 16. That’s Gonzaga’s only four-hit game on the season, and one of four games in which Yake has multiple hits. He went 6-for-14 last weekend with three RBI.
- Both Yake and Vieth have done a great job of keeping innings alive, each going 5-for-10 (.500) on the season when batting with two outs. Vieth has four two-out RBI and Yake has two.
- CF Branson Trube put together a great weekend at the plate in three games in Sacramento, going 6-for-12 with a pair of doubles, three runs scored and two RBI.
- C Austin Pinorini collected his first home run as a Zag, helping GU beat Sac State 6-3. His third-inning, two-run shot pulled GU out of a 2-0 hole to tie the score.
- Gonzaga pinch hitters are 4-for-7 (.571) on the season, lead by a 2-for-2 line from Nick Nyquist and one hit each from Isaac Barrera and Nick Brooks.
- The Gonzaga defense turned seven double plays in four games over the opening weekend. Along with four more over the last two weeks, GU now has a WCC-best 11 on the year, which also ranks 49th in the nation.
- Gonzaga’s .983 fielding percentage is also second in the WCC and ranks 14th nationally.
- In three games last weekend, the GU staff combined for a 2.00 ERA and struck out 29 batters against just three walks. They held opponents to just a .211 average on the weekend.
- RHP Daniel Bies broke a career-high for strikeouts for the second straight game and collected his first-career complete game in a 4-1 win over Milwaukee.
- Freshman RHP Alek Jacob struck out a team-high 11 over 7.0 innings against Sac State in the second half of a doubleheader following Bies’ complete-game performance.
- GU pitchers have held opponents to just a .223 batting average with two outs, including a .105 mark (2-for-19) from Jacob.
- The Gonzaga bullpen has collected four victories and three saves on the season. Casey Legumina has two of those saves, including a three-strikeout ninth against New Mexico and a 2.0-inning save last weekend against Sac State to wrap the weekend.
- The GU staff has a 2.97 ERA on the year and has combined for 88 strikeouts in 88.0 innings against just 32 walks.