March 12, 2018
Gonzaga Game Notes
Gonzaga (9-5) at Oregon (11-4)
Eugene, Ore. | PK Park | Tuesday, March 13 | 6:00 p.m. PT
LHP Justin Blatner
(0-0, 4.91) vs. RHP Brett Walker (0-0,0.00)Live Video | Live Stats
Gonzaga (9-5) at Seattle U (9-7)
Seattle, Wash. | Bannerwood Ballpark | Wednesday, March 14 | 4:00 p.m. PT
TBA vs. TBA
Live Video | Live Stats
The Last Meeting
May 10, 2016
Zags Blast past Oregon for Sweep
Calvin LeBrun and Hunter Wells saw stellar outings from the bullpen as Gonzaga came back for a 5-4 win Tuesday night to sweep a two-game series at Oregon.
- Gonzaga traveled to Rice and took three of four games from the Owls over the course of three days, with a doubleheader on Saturday of the Friday-Sunday series.
- Gonzaga won the first two games and the series final at Reckling Park in Houston.
- Branson Trube was an offensive machine in the series, going 10-for-18 (.556) with two doubles, a triple and a home run. He scored three times and knocked in seven runs. Gunnar Schubert was 8-for-16 (.500) and Ernie Yake had seven hits.
- Gonzaga hit .315 for the series as a team with 12 extra-base hits (7 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 3 HRs).
- On the mound, Daniel Bies and Mac Lardner each collected wins as starting pitchers, while Calvin LeBrun collected the third win out of the bullpen. Casey Legumina had saves in each of the first two wins of the series, both by a score of 7-5.
ZAGS FACE SEATTLE U
- Gonzaga and Seattle U will face off for the first time since Seattle U added the sport back to its schedule in 2010. The teams were supposed to place last April, but a rainout was not rescheduled.
- Gonzaga has won seven of its last eight games in large part to an offense that has been red-hot, hitting .331 as a team over the last seven. GU has 21 extra-base hits in those seven games, with five homers after hitting only two homers in the first seven games.
- 1B Jake Vieth continued his hot start to the season, reaching base at a .500 clip in the Rice series keeping his season OBP above the .500 mark at .508.
- Over the last seven games, CF Branson Trube has broken out in a huge way, going 16-for-30 (.533) in that span. At Rice, he went 10-for-18 (.556) with two doubles, a triple, a homer, three runs scored and seven RBI. He’s now hitting .370 on the year, second on the team.
- Trube has been even better this season with runners on base, going 14-for-32 (.438), including a .389 mark - 7-for-18 - with runners in scoring position.
- Gunnar Schubert kept his streaks alive, reaching base in all four games to make it 14 straight (all games) of getting on. He collected eight hits in the four-game series and moved his hit streak to eight games. He’s had a hit in 12 of GU’s 14 games.
- Schubert took over the team lead in batting average at .377.
- Schubert is also tied with Branson Trube for the team lead with seven multi-hit games this season. Ernie Yake and Vieth each have six on the year.
- Redshirt freshman 3B Ernie Yake broke out in a huge way to start the season, going 4-for-6 in his collegiate debut against Cal Poly on Feb. 16. That’s one of Gonzaga’s two four-hit games on the season, and one of six games in which Yake has multiple hits. He went 7-for-18 last weekend vs. Rice with four RBI.
- Gonzaga’s .982 fielding percentage is also second in the WCC and ranks 18th nationally.
- Mac Lardner had his best start of the season against perennial national power Rice, getting the win by going 7.0 innings of one-run ball and giving up seven hits while walking two and striking out one.
- Calvin LeBrun pitched 5.0 solid innings of relief in the four-game Rice series, striking out eight with zero walks, giving up just two runs and holding the Owls to a .211 batting average in his time on the mound.
- In the three-game sweep in Sacramento against Milwaukee and Sac State, the GU staff combined for a 2.00 ERA and struck out 29 batters against just three walks. They held opponents to just a .211 average on the weekend.
- RHP Daniel Bies broke a career-high for strikeouts for the second straight game and collected his first-career complete game in a 4-1 win over Milwaukee.
- Freshman RHP Alek Jacob struck out a team-high 11 over 7.0 innings against Sac State in the second half of a doubleheader following Bies’ complete-game performance.
- GU pitchers have held opponents to just a .240 batting average with two outs, including a .154 mark (2-for-13) from reliever Calvin LeBrun.
- The Gonzaga bullpen has collected five victories and five saves on the season. Casey Legumina has four of those saves, including two against Rice last weekend.
- The GU staff has a 3.42 ERA on the year and has combined for 114 strikeouts in 121.0 innings against just 45 walks.