Gonzaga Tops St. John's In Great Alaska Shootout

Nov. 22, 2001

Final Stats

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Freshman Ronny Turiaf came off the bench to score 12 points and grab 12 rebounds, Zach Gourde scored 10 of his 14 points in the second half and Gonzaga University (2-1) overcame first-half deficits of 11 and 12 points to defeat St. John's University 65-58 in the first round of the Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout Thanksgiving night.

The Bulldogs will face 24th ranked University of Texas, a 78-68 winner over Oregon State University, in Friday's early semifinal at 6:30 p.m. PST. Indiana University, which defeated host University of Alaska-Anchorage, and Marquette University, a first-round winner of the University of Tennessee, will meet in the late semifinal Friday night. The semifinal winners meet for the championship Saturday at 9 p.m. PST on ESPN2.

Gonzaga didn't grab its first lead of the night until 10:51 remained in the game when Gourde tipped in an Alex Hernandez miss for a 47-46 lead the Bulldogs would never relinquish. After trailing 32-25 at halftime, the Bulldogs still trailed by seven at 42-35 with 14:44 to play. But a Winston Brooks 3-pointer from the top of the key, a Hernandez free throw and a Hernandez turnaround jumper off the glass pulled Gonzaga to within one at 42-41.

Anthony Glover, who scored 15 points for the Red Storm, pushed the lead to 44-41 with a jump hook, Hernandez got an easy lay-in off a Gourde feed and St. John's got a basket from Alpha Bangura for the 46-45 St. John's lead.

Gourde connected on a pair of free throws at the 11:37 mark, then followed with his tip-in to give the Bulldogs the lead.

Blake Stepp hit his only basket of the night, a 3-pointer from the left corner, for a 50-46 lead with 8:38 to go, and Turiaf made a pair of free throws for a 52-46 advantage with 6:59 remaining.



St. John's wasn't done, cutting the gap to 52-51 with 6:14 left on a 3-point play by Glover and a Bangura basket.

Dickau scored a reverse lay-in on a perfect down-the-lane pass from Brooks then connected on a 3-pointer from top left of the circle for a 57-51 lead at the 5:19 mark. A Bangura tip and a Turiaf spin move down the lane maintained the six-point margin at 59-53 with 2:59 showing on the clock.

Marcus Hatten, who had 19 points, tried to rally St. John's one last time, his long 3-pointer from the top of the circle cutting the Gonzaga lead to 59-56. But Gonzaga went on a 6-2 run down the stretch - hitting 6-of-8 free throws - to beat the Red Storm for the second time in three seasons.

Gonzaga topped St. John's 82-76 in the NCAA Tournament second round in Tucson, Ariz., on March 18, 200. Gonzaga leads the overall series with the Red Storm 2-1, the St. John's victory by a 97-69 count at St. John's during the 1960-61 season.

Turiaf, the freshman from Le Robert, Martinique, who spent his final three years of high school attending Insep in Paris, collected his second straight double-double. He had 13 points and 13 rebounds in Gonzaga's home opener last Sunday against the University of Montana.

The Bulldogs dug themselves a big hole to begin the game as St. John's stormed to an 11-0 lead in the first 2:33. Glover began the early assault with a 3-pointer from the top of the key just 50 ticks into the contest.

Hatten, who hit four of his first five shots, had back-to-back-steals for coast-to-coast lay-ins in a 15-second span to push the Red Storm lead to 9-0. Hatten came back with a jumper from the top of the key for an 11-0 lead with 17:27 to go in the opening half.

The Bulldogs got their first points when Dickau went the length of the court drive for a lay-in with 17:10 to go. But Hatten hit a trey from the top of the circle for a 14-2 lead just three minutes into the contest.

Plagued by poor shooting (missing its first five shots) and turnovers (seven in the first 10 minutes of the game) early, Gonzaga rallied to go on an 11-2 run in a span of 4:20 to cut the deficit to 16-13 with 11:56 remaining. Cory Violette began the spurt with a hook that was counted due to St. John's goaltending. Gourde came back with a hook in the paint. Turiaf hit a turnaround jumper following a Kyle Cuffe bucket for the Red Storm, Gourde took a nice feed from Dickau for a short jumper from the right side of the lane and Dickau banked in a 3-pointer from the top of the arc to complete the run.

Hatten, who scored 12 of his game-high 19 points in the first-half, drilled another bomb, this one from about 23 feet, to momentarily slow down the Bulldogs and give St. John's a 19-13 lead midway through the half. Hernandez hit a jumper from the wing and then buried a pair of free throws to pull Gonzaga to within two points at 19-17 with 8:54 remaining in the half.

But those Hernandez free throws would be the last points for the Bulldogs for 5:30 as St. John's ran off 10 unanswered points. Glover, with 10 points in the first half, drained a 3-pointer from the top of the key, then got a jumper from the right elbow. Abe Keita's tip opened the St. John's lead to double-digits again at 27-17 with 5:51 remaining, and Cuffe's rebound basket upped the lead to 29-17 and ended the 10-0 run.

Dickau got the Bulldogs back on the scoreboard with a trey from the top of the key, and a Turiaf rebound and a Dickau 3-pointer from 21 feet that beat the first-half buzzer cut the St. John's lead to single digits at halftime, 32-25.

Dickau's 17 points led the Bulldogs, including four 3-pointers. He was one of four Bulldogs in double figures, Gourde adding 14 and Hernandez and Turiaf with 12 each.

Twitter Logo
  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Instagram Logo
Facebook Logo
Annual Report 10_17_App_Promo_Icon ZAG_Promo_Icon Numerica Resume Book theW.tv Varsity Club University Kids Club
» «