MBB Opens the New Year at Pepperdine
Jan. 2, 2018
No. 19/19 Gonzaga (12-3, 2-0) at Pepperdine (3-11, 0-2)
THURSDAY, JAN. 4 | 8 P.M. | MALIBU, CALIF. | FIRESTONE FIELDHOUSE
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the 85th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Pepperdine.
- The Zags have a 53-31 advantage in the series, including 21-17 in the meetings in Malibu.
- GU has won 33 straight versus the Waves, 15 in-a-row inside the Firestone Fieldhouse.
- The Bulldogs are 37-2 against the Waves under Mark Few.
- Gonzaga won the latest meeting, 96-49, in Malibu last season on Jan. 28.
- The Zags shot 58.6 percent from the field, and held Pepperdine to 30.2 percent.
- Silas Melson scored 15 points, Johnathan Williams grabbed seven boards and Josh Perkins dished out five assists.
- GU won the first meeting last season in Spokane, 92-62.
- In 2015-16’s trip to Malibu, the Bulldogs held off Pepperdine, 69-66.
- Gonzaga won the first-ever meeting, 93-70, in the Knights of Columbus Tournament in Portland, on Dec. 11, 1964.
SCOUTING THE WAVES
- Pepperdine has lost five straight games, including the first two West Coast Conference contests of the season.
- The Waves fell at Santa Clara Thursday, 72-65, and San Diego Saturday, 74-66.
- Colbey Ross led the Waves in scoring for the fourth straight game with 16 points. He also had seven rebounds and six assists and made both his three-pointers.
- Eric Cooper Jr. scored 13 points with three three-pointers and had three steals, while Nolan Taylor had 12 points.
- Pepperdine was held to 34.8 percent shooting from the field, but did make 7-of-17 from three-point range.
- Eight of the Waves’ 11 losses have been by 10 points or less, including the last three.
- For the eighth time in 14 games, the Waves were without two starters against San Diego.
- Kameron Edwards, the Waves’ leading scorer and rebounder, missed his fifth straight game. Amadi Udenyi missed his second straight game and fourth overall.
- The Waves’ total number of player-games missed due to injury is up to 35 this season. Pepperdine hasn’t had its expected starting lineup available for a single game this season.
- Edwards averages 15.9 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, while shooting 54.8 percent from the field.
- Ross chips in 14.8 points per game and has dished out a team-best 74 assists this season. Cooper Jr. averages 11 points per outing, while Trae Berhow averages 9.9 points and 6.1 rebounds.
- Silas Melson has totaled 63 points in seven career appearances against Pepperdine.
- He’s reached double-digits four times versus the Waves, including scoring a career-high 15 points in the latest meeting on Jan. 28, 2017, in Malibu. He made 5-of-6 from the field, including 3-for-3 from behind-the-arc.
- Melson is 22-of-37 (59.5 percent) from the field in his career versus Pepperdine.
- Josh Perkins has faced the Waves four times. He’s scored 41 points in the four appearances with 20 assists to just three turnovers. Perkins has also connected on eight of his 18 three-pointers against Pepperdine.
- Perkins career-best against the Waves was 17 points on 6-of-8 (5-of-6 three-pointers) on Dec. 21, 2015 in Spokane.
DISHING OUT DIMES
- The Zags tallied 28 assists in the 101-52 win over Santa Clara.
- The 28 assists are tied for the third-most in a single game in program history.
- It was Gonzaga’s most assists in a single-game since 2000.
- It was the highest total of assists in a single-game in the West Coast Conference this season.
- The Bulldogs are 14th in the nation with 266 assists this season. GU tops the WCC in assists and assists per game (17.7).
HITTING THE CENTURY MARK
- Gonzaga scored 101 points in its win over Santa Clara. It marked the fifth time this season the Zags have scored 100 points in a game. (Howard, 106; Florida, 105; Incarnate Word, 103; IUPUI, 101)
- It’s the first time GU has scored 100 points in five games during a single season in program history.
- The last time the Bulldogs reached 100 points four times in a single season was 1963-64.
DIALING FROM LONG DISTANCE
- The Bulldogs have made a three-pointer in 828 straight games, a streak that ranks 14th in the country.
- Last season, Gonzaga made 10 or more three-pointers in nine games and shot 38.2 percent from behind-the-arc. This season, the Zags are shooting 37.2 percent from three-point range and have made 10 or more threes in 10 of the 15 games.
- The Bulldogs have combined for 23 three-pointers in their first two WCC games of the seasons.
- Over the past eight seasons Gonzaga has the top field goal percentage (49.5) in the country.
- The Zags have shot over 50 percent from the field in 132 games in the last eight seasons, which also tops the nation.
- GU ranks 18th in the country in field goal percentage (50.6) so far this season.
- Gonzaga ranks seventh in the country averaging 90.3 points per game.
- The Zags top the West Coast Conference is scoring offense, scoring margin (+18.9), and three-pointers made per game (9.9).
- The Bulldogs are averaging 94.2 points per game in their nine home games this season, winning by an average of 28 points.
- Gonzaga is currently the only team in the country that has six players averaging double-digit scoring (players that qualify, which have played 75 percent of their team’s games).
- Josh Perkins leads the team in scoring at 14.0 points per game.
- The top seven scorers on the team are averaging at least 8.4 points per game.
- Gonzaga has had five different players lead the team in scoring in the first 15 games of the season.
- The Bulldogs are one of four teams in the nation that have had six 20-point scorers so far this season.
- GU has had at least three double-digit scorers in every game this season.
- Seven Zags finished in double-figures in the win over Santa Clara.
01/09/2018 - MBB Returns to Spokane for Matchup with Portland
01/06/2018 - Williams leads No. 19 Gonzaga past Loyola Marymount, 85-66
01/05/2018 - MBB Closes L.A. Trip at LMU Saturday
01/04/2018 - No. 19 Gonzaga overwhelms Pepperdine 89-59
01/04/2018 - Williams a Candidate for Senior CLASS Award
01/02/2018 - MBB Opens the New Year at Pepperdine
12/30/2017 - No. 20 Gonzaga scores 1st 15 points, tops Santa Clara 101-52
Men's Basketball01/18/2018Women's Basketball01/13/2018Men's Basketball01/11/2018Women's Basketball01/06/2018