MBB Returns to Spokane for Matchup with Portland
Jan. 9, 2018
No. 15/14 Gonzaga (14-3, 4-0) vs. Portland (6-11, 0-4)
THURSDAY, JAN. 11 | 6 P.M. | SPOKANE | MCCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the 166th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Portland. The Zags have a 99-66 edge in the series.
- GU has won eight straight versus the Pilots and is 38-6 at home in the series.
- The Bulldogs are 35-2 against Portland under Mark Few.
- Gonzaga won the latest meeting, 83-64, in Portland on Jan. 23, 2017. Silas Melson scored 12 points, while Johnathan Williams had 10 points and seven rebounds. The Zags shot 51.7 percent from the field.
- GU pulled away with a 73-52 win in last season’s meeting in Spokane.
- The Pilots last win in the series came on Jan. 9, 2014, 82-73, at Portland.
- Portland edged GU, 70-66, in the first-ever NCAA meeting on Jan. 18, 1959, inside the Spokane Coliseum.
SCOUTING THE PILOTS
- Portland is coming off of its fourth straight setback, a 70-68 loss at Santa Clara Saturday.
- Josh McSwiggan scored a team-high 17 points for the Pilots. Tahirou Diabate had a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds with four blocks. Marcus Shaver Jr. added 13 points. Jojo Walker dished out five assists.
- Portland made 52.7 percent from the field, but turned the ball over 14 times, including six in the final five minutes.
- The game that featured 14 ties and seven lead changes. The largest lead of the contest was eight.
- The Pilots are 0-4 in true road games this season, and 1-7 in games away from the Chiles Center.
- McSwiggan averages a team-best 13.4 points per game, while Shaver Jr. and Franklin Porter add 11.2 points each.
- Philipp Hartwich is grabbing 8.9 rebounds per game and has 47 blocks this season. Walker has thrown a team-high 47 assists with 17 steals.
- Hartwich leads the West Coast Conference in blocks (14th in the NCAA) and blocks per game (2.76, 19th in the nation). As a team, Portland tops the league in blocked shots (77) and blocks per game (4.5).
- McSwiggan is 17th in the country and first in the WCC shooting 47.8 percent from three-point range.
- Silas Melson has totaled 57 points in seven career appearances against Portland, going 21-of-46 from the field.
- He scored a career-high against the Pilots in last season’s meeting in Spokane. He had 12 points and made 4-of-8 from the field, with four rebounds.
- Josh Perkins has started in all five of his appearances against Portland. He has totaled 45 points and 26 assists in his career against the Pilots.
- In the 2016 meeting in Spokane, Perkins scored 10 points and dished out seven assists.
- Last season, Johnathan Williams totaled 19 points and 13 boards in the two meetings against Portland.
- Gonzaga is off to a 4-0 start in West Coast Conference play for the sixth straight season.
- The Zags have started the last three seasons 5-0 in West Coast Conference action.
- GU won its first 17 games of conference play in 2014-15 and 2016-17, before falling in the league finale.
- After setting a new league record last season by winning West Coast Conference games by an average of 26.2 points, the Zags have opened WCC action by winning their first four league games by 32.8 points (89.0-56.2).
- GU has dished out 20.5 assists per game so far in West Coast Conference play, with a +11.8 rebound margin.
- The Bulldogs are shooting 52.3 percent from the field, and limiting opponents to 39.1 percent.
- Rui Hachimura is leading the team at 13.3 points per game off of the bench in league play. He has made 20 of his 26 shots from the field (76.9 percent) and 13-of-14 (92.9) from the free-throw line.
- Josh Perkins has dished out 28 assists to just seven turnovers, and is averaging 12 points per league game.
- Johnathan Williams and Josh Perkins both finished with double-doubles in the Zags’ 85-66 win at Loyola Marymount.
- Williams scored 30 points and had 10 boards, while Perkins added 12 points and 10 assists in his first career double-double.
- Williams and Perkins were the first Gonzaga duo to record double-doubles in the same game since Kyle Wiltjer (30 points and 11 rebounds) and Domantas Sabonis (35 points and 14 rebounds) did at San Francisco on Jan. 2, 2016.
- Zach Norvell Jr. was a rebound shy of being the third Zag to have a double-double at LMU.
PERKINS AT THE POINT
- In the win at Loyola Marymount, Josh Perkins became the first Bulldog to dish out 10 assists since Matt Bouldin did at Pepperdine on Jan. 22, 2009. He added 12 points for his first collegiate double-double.
- Perkins is third in the West Coast Conference averaging 5.6 assists per game. Through the first four WCC games, he is averaging seven assists per outing, which ranks second in the league.
- Perkins leads the West Coast Conference with 52 three-pointers made this season and 3.1 three-pointers made per game.
DOMINATING THE PAINT
- The Gonzaga big men excelled in the L.A. trip last weekend, outscoring Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount in the paint 98-42.
- Johnathan Williams, Rui Hachimura, Killian Tillie and Jacob Larsen scored 104 of the Zags’ 174 points last week.
- GU has outscored its opponents in the paint, 176-86, so far during conference play.
- The Bulldogs have outscored every opponent, with the exception of Texas (34-30) and Villanova (40-36), in the paint this season. Gonzaga is outscoring opponents in the paint by an average of 42.1-27.9.
NOTHING FOR FREE
- In the Bulldogs’ two road wins at Pepperdine and LMU, GU’s opponents combined to go 6-of-11 from the free-throw line.
- At Pepperdine, the Waves made just one of their four free-throw attempts. It was the fewest makes and attempts by a GU opponent since Butler went 1-for-4 against the Zags on Dec. 20, 2011.
- Loyola Marymount was 5-of-7 from the free-throw line in Gonzaga’s 85-66 victory in Los Angeles.
PROTECTING THE KENNEL
- Gonzaga is a perfect 9-0 at home this season, winning games by an average of 94.2-66.7 (848-600).
- The Zags have made 51.8 percent of their shots from the field at home this season, including 38.1 percent (91-of-239) from behind-the-perimeter.
- GU is outrebounding opponents at home this season by an average of 43.7-29.4 (393-265).
- The Bulldogs trailed for a total of three minutes and 11 seconds in the first two conference games at home. Gonzaga has not trailed in the last 74 minutes and 51 seconds in the McCarthey Athletic Center.
03/30/2018 - Williams Named to Senior CLASS All-American Second Team
03/27/2018 - Williams Named Honorable Mention All-American
03/22/2018 - Gonzaga Falls to Florida State in Sweet 16
03/21/2018 - MBB West Regional Semifinal Media Day
03/21/2018 - Few Named NABC District 9 Coach of the Year
03/19/2018 - MBB Faces Florida State in Sweet 16
03/17/2018 - NCAA West Regional Ticket Information