MBB Hosts Cougars Saturday Night
Feb. 2, 2018
No. 14/12 Gonzaga (20-4, 10-1) vs. BYU (18-6, 7-4)
SATURDAY, FEB. 3 | 7 P.M. | SPOKANE | MCCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the 18th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and BYU. The Zags have a 11-6 advantage in the series.
- The Bulldogs are 11-6 against the Cougars under Mark Few.
- The series is even in the games at GU, with all six Spokane matchups coming inside the McCarthey Athletic Center.
- The last five games in the series have been decided by a combined 26 points.
- BYU has won the last three meetings in Spokane, the latest was last season on Feb. 25, 2017, 79-71. The Cougars upset the then-ranked No. 1 and undefeated Zags in the regular season finale. Johnathan Williams recorded his third straight double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Josh Perkins added 10 points.
- Gonzaga held off BYU in last season’s meeting in Provo, 85-75.
- The Cougars won the first-ever meeting, 89-67, in the third round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament in Denver, Colo.
SCOUTING THE COUGARS
- BYU is coming off of a 76-69 loss at Loyola Marymount Thursday.
- The Cougars outshot LMU, 46.3 percent to 44.1 percent from the field, but BYU was forced into 16 turnovers.
- BYU’s Elijah Bryant was 8-of-14 from the field and finished with 24 points. He added five assists and three blocks.
- The Cougars’ Yoeli Childs recorded his 11th double-double of the season with 15 points and 13 rebounds.
- Bryant is second in the West Coast Conference averaging 18.5 points per game, while Childs is third scoring 17.7 points per game. Bryant (20.9) and Childs (18.9) are second and third in the league in points per WCC game.
- Childs is second in the WCC averaging 8.7 rebounds per game and seventh at 53.9 percent shooting from the field.
- TJ Haws leads the Cougars with an average of 4.1 assists per game.
- Bryant is first in the WCC shooting 89.2 percent from the free-throw line and second shooting 44.9 percent from behind-the-arc. He is making 2.6 three-pointers per game, which is fourth in the league.
- Silas Melson has totaled 32 points in eight career appearances against BYU.
- He had 13 points on 4-of-9 shooting from the field in Provo in 2016, and added three rebounds. Last year, Melson collected six points, three assists and a career-high seven rebounds at BYU.
- Josh Perkins appeared in five games against the Cougars. He has totaled 57 points, 26 assists and 10 steals in his career against BYU. In the 2016 WCC Tournament versus the Cougars, Perkins had 17 points with five assists and two steals. He made 3-of-8 from three-point range and was perfect from the free throw line.
- Johnathan Williams totaled 24 points and 20 rebounds in the two meetings versus the Cougars last season, including a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds in the Kennel.
- Gonzaga grabbed its 21st straight 20-win season with Thursday’s win over San Diego.
- GU’s 21-straight 20-win seasons ranks second for the longest active run in the country. (Kansas 28, Duke 21)
- Prior to the previous 20 seasons, the Bulldogs reached 20 wins in a season eight times since 1907-08.
- Mark Few ranks third for current consecutive 20-win seasons as a head coach with 18. (Mike Krzyzewski 21, Bill Self 19)
- GU also has a streak of 10 consecutive 25-win seasons.
- Gonzaga held San Diego to 32.8 percent from the field shooting in Thursday’s 69-59 win in Spokane.
- The Toreros’ 59 points matched the fourth-lowest total for a Zag opponent this season.
- GU limited San Diego to 32.1 percent shooting from behind-the-arc.
03/27/2018 - Williams Named Honorable Mention All-American
03/22/2018 - Gonzaga Falls to Florida State in Sweet 16
03/21/2018 - MBB West Regional Semifinal Media Day
03/21/2018 - Few Named NABC District 9 Coach of the Year
03/19/2018 - MBB Faces Florida State in Sweet 16
03/17/2018 - NCAA West Regional Ticket Information
03/17/2018 - Gonzaga beats Ohio State 90-84 for Sweet 16 return