MBB Begins Tough Road Trip in Stockton
Feb. 6, 2018
No. 12/11 Gonzaga (21-4, 11-1) at Pacific (12-13, 7-5)
THURSDAY, FEB. 8 | 7 P.M. | STOCKTON, CALIF. | ALEX G. SPANOS CENTER
TV: SWX, ROOT Northwest, AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain, NBC Sports Bay Area+, AT&T SportsNet Southwest
LIVE STREAMING: TheW.tv (out-of-market), ESPN3 (out-of-region)
RADIO: Gonzaga IMG Radio Network
SIRIUS XM: Channel 83
LIVE STATS: Gametracker
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the 15th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Pacific.
- The Zags have won 13 of the previous 14 matchups in the series, including 5-1 in the meetings in Stockton.
- GU has won 11 straight versus the Tigers, including the last four inside the Alex G. Spanos Center.
- Gonzaga’s average margin of victory at the Spanos Center since 2013-14 has been 14.8 points.
- The Bulldogs are 11-0 against Pacific under Mark Few.
- The Tigers lone victory in the series came in Stockton in 1976, 70-60.
- Gonzaga cruised to an 81-48 win over the Tigers in the first meeting this season in Spokane. The Zags outscored Pacific 50-27 in the second half. Rui Hachimura scored 19 points and Josh Perkins added 16 points.
- GU rallied for an 81-61 win in last season’s meeting in Stockton on Dec. 31, 2016. Pacific led 34-29 at halftime, before being outscored 52-27 in the second half, one of only two games the Bulldogs trailed at halftime in last season.
- Przemek Karnowski scored 19 points and fueled a big 25-4 run in the second half. Jordan Mathews added 16 points.
- The Zags edged Pacific, 85-83, in the first-ever meeting in Stockton on Feb. 5, 1959.
SCOUTING THE TIGERS
- Pacific is coming off of a pair of road wins last week, at Santa Clara (63-45) and at Pepperdine (81-72).
- At Pepperdine Saturday, Pacific shot 52.5 percent from the field and was led by Miles Reynolds’ 22 points. Roberto Gallinat and Lafayette Dorsey added 19 and 16 points. Jahlil Tripp had nine points, nine boards and eight assists. Namdi Okonkwo blocked six shots and grabbed seven rebounds.
- For the first time since rejoining the WCC in 2013-14, Pacific has seven WCC wins and back-to-back WCC road wins.
- Pacific was tabbed eighth in the conference preseason poll and currently sit in a tie for third in the standings.
- Okonkwo is seven blocks shy of taking the No. 3 spot on the Pacific all-time single-season blocks list.
- The Tigers lead the conference averaging 4.3 blocks per game, 4.7 in league play, led by Okonkwo. He is first in the WCC averaging 2.7 blocks per game and 3.3 in conference games.
- Gallinat and Reynolds both average a team-best 13 points per outing. Reynolds is scoring 14.3 points per conference game. Tripp is contributing 10.3 points, 7.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.5 steals per contest.
-Silas Melson has scored 49 points in eight career appearances against Pacific.
- He had a career high against the Tigers at home in 2016, with 12 points and shooting 3-of-5 from the field.
-Josh Perkins appeared in six games against Pacific. He has totaled 48 points, 19 assists and 7 steals in his career against the Tigers. In December, Perkins had 16 points with five assists and 2 steals. He went 4-of-8 from three-point range, and 6-of-10 from the field.
-Johnathan Williams has a total of 22 career points in 3 appearances against the Tigers, including a double-double in 2016 with 12 points and 11 rebounds in the Kennel.
-Rui Hachimura appeared in three games against the Tigers. In his last appearance in December he had 19 points on 6-8 shooting, adding to a career total of 27 against Pacific.
- In its last three games, Gonzaga has gone 16-of-17 from the free-throw line in the final five minutes. The Bulldogs are 13-of-13 from the line in the last three minutes and 9-for-9 in the last two minutes.
-In the final three minutes of the last three games, the Zags are outscoring their competition 25-10, while limiting their opponent to 3-of-13 shooting from the field.
- In the final two minutes of the last three games, GU is outscoring opponents 16-2, and holding teams to 1-of-10 shooting.
LIFE ON THE ROAD
- The Bulldogs have won 20 straight WCC games on the road, the longest active streak in the country. GU’s last loss to a West Coast Conference opponent on the road was at Saint Mary’s, 70-67, on Jan. 21, 2016.
- The Zags have won 33 of their last 34 road games in conference play. Since 2014-15, GU is 31-1 in WCC road games.
- Since the 2005-06 season, Gonzaga is 187-62 in road or neutral games.
- The Zags’ 74.9-win percentage in road or neutral games tops the nation over that span.
- Also since the 2007-08 season, the Zags are 86-24 in true road games.
- GU’s 77.7-win pct. in true road games is best in the nation over that span.
ZAGS PICKED UP IN JAPAN
- Last Thursday’s game against San Diego was the first of four Gonzaga regular season games to air in Japan on J SPORTS.
- In an agreement with ROOT SPORTS through Metta Sport, the games appear on both the television and over-the-top (OTT) platforms on one of the four J SPORTS channels to as many as 6.5 million households in Japan. J SPORTS is only available on either platform to subscribers in Japan.
- The first two games, including Feb. 1 vs. San Diego and Feb. 8 at Pacific, air on tape delay. The final two games of the agreement, Feb. 15 vs. Loyola Marymount and Feb. 17 vs. Pepperdine, will air live on J SPORTS.
- Gonzaga is third in the country shooting 59.9 percent from inside-the-arc.
- Five Zags rank in the top-12 in the West Coast Conference in two-point shooting percentage.
- Zach Norvell Jr. leads the league shooting 67.4 percent inside-the-arc. Rui Hachimura is fifth at 65.6 percent, while Corey Kispert (64.8) and Killian Tillie (63.7) seventh and eighth. Johnathan Williams is 12th shooting 59.2 percent.
- On the defensive side, the Bulldogs are limiting opponents to 44.1 percent shooting from two-point range, which ranks 14th in the country.
- Johnathan Williams is 12 blocks from 150 in his career.
- Josh Perkins is three made three-pointers from 187 in his career (No. 10 in program history).
- Silas Melson is one win away from fourth all-time in program history with 116 victories in his career. He is also six steals from 100 in his career.
- The Zags currently average 86.6 points per game, the program record set last season was 82.6.
03/27/2018 - Williams Named Honorable Mention All-American
03/22/2018 - Gonzaga Falls to Florida State in Sweet 16
03/21/2018 - MBB West Regional Semifinal Media Day
03/21/2018 - Few Named NABC District 9 Coach of the Year
03/19/2018 - MBB Faces Florida State in Sweet 16
03/17/2018 - NCAA West Regional Ticket Information
03/17/2018 - Gonzaga beats Ohio State 90-84 for Sweet 16 return