MBB Plays for Outright Conference Title Saturday
Feb. 23, 2018
No. 6/6 Gonzaga (26-4, 16-1) at BYU (22-8, 11-6)
SATURDAY, FEB. 24 | 5 P.M. PT | PROVO, UT | MARRIOTT CENTER
LIVE VIDEO: Watch ESPN
RADIO: Gonzaga IMG Radio Network
SIRIUS XM: Sirius 84 and XM 84
LIVE STATS: Gametracker
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the 19th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and BYU. The Zags have a 12-6 advantage in the series.
- GU has won four of the six meetings in Provo, including the last three matchups at BYU.
- The Bulldogs are 12-6 against the Cougars under Mark Few.
- The last six games in the series have been decided by a combined 34 points.
- Gonzaga held off BYU in last season’s meeting in Provo, 85-75. Nigel Williams-Goss scored 33 points. Gonzaga took a 42-26 lead after dominating the first half, and used a 20-4 stretch early. GU shot 51.9 percent from the field.
- The Zags snapped a three-game BYU win streak in Spokane with a 68-60 victory earlier this season over the Cougars. Rui Hachimura scored 15 points and Josh Perkins added 14 points and seven assists.
- Gonzaga has won four of the seven Spokane matchups in the series, all coming inside the McCarthey Athletic Center.
- The Cougars won the first-ever meeting, 89-67, in the third round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament in Denver, Colo.
SCOUTING THE COUGARS
- BYU closed its regular season road schedule with a 72-60 win at Portland Thursday.
- Yoeli Childs recorded a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds. He was 7-of-11 from the field.
- Elijah Bryant added 15 points with six boards, while Dalton Nixon and TJ Haws chipped in 14 and 10 points.
- The Cougars outshot Portland 46 percent to 40.7 percent from the field.
- Bryant is third in the West Coast Conference averaging 17.6 points per game, while Childs is fourth scoring 17.3 points per game. Bryant (18.6) and Childs (17.8) are second and third in the league in points per WCC game.
- Childs is second in the WCC averaging 8.7 rebounds per game and sixth at 54.5 percent shooting from the field.
- TJ Haws leads the Cougars with an average of 4.3 assists per game, which ranks sixth in the conference.
- Bryant is first in the WCC shooting 87.7 percent from the free-throw line and sixth shooting 41.9 percent from behind-the-arc. He is making 2.5 three-pointers per game, which is third in the league.
- Silas Melson has totaled 35 points in nine career appearances against BYU.
- Josh Perkins appeared in six games against the Cougars. He has totaled 71 points, 33 assists and 11 steals in his career against BYU. On Feb. 3 against the Cougars, Perkins had 14 points with seven assists and a steal. He made 2-of-6 from three-point range and was perfect from the free throw line.
- Johnathan Williams totaled 37 points and 30 rebounds in his three career appearances against BYU, including a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds last time out in the Kennel.
THAT’S SIX STRAIGHT
- The Zags’ win at San Diego clinched at least a share of the West Coast Conference regular season title.
- It marks six straight seasons that the Zags have either shared or owned the title outright.
- GU clinched at least a tie for the program’s 21st West Coast Conference title.
- The Bulldogs have had at least a share of 17 of the last 18 WCC championships, and 19 out of the last 21 years.
PERKINS NAMED ACADEMIC ALL-WCC
- Josh Perkins was selected to the West Coast Conference’s All-Academic Team.
- Perkins receives the honor for the second straight season. He boasts a 3.26 cumulative grade point average and is a Sport Management major.
LIFE ON THE ROAD
- The Bulldogs have won 23 straight WCC games on the road, the longest active streak in the country. GU’s last loss to a conference opponent on the road was at Saint Mary’s, 70-67, on Jan. 21, 2016.
- Old Dominion has the second-longest current conference road win streak at eight games.
- The Zags have won 36 of their last 37 road games in conference play. Since 2014-15, GU is 34-1 in WCC road games.
- If you include the WCC Tournament, the Bulldogs have won 45 of their last 46 road or neutral league contests.
- Since the 2005-06 season, Gonzaga is 190-62 in road or neutral games.
- The Zags’ 75.4-win percentage in road or neutral games tops the nation over that span.
- Also since the 2007-08 season, the Zags are 89-24 in true road games.
- GU’s 78.8-win pct. in true road games is best in the nation over that span.
HERE’S ANOTHER STREAK
- Gonzaga’s 10-game win streak is currently tied for the fourth-longest active run in the country.
- Michigan State, College of Charleston and Grambling are tied for the longest active streak at 11 consecutive victories.
- Murray State has also won 10 straight games, while Middle Tennessee and Saint Bonaventure
have nine consecutive wins.
03/11/2018 - MBB Meets UNC-Greensboro in First Round
03/06/2018 - No. 6 Gonzaga beats BYU 74-54 for sixth straight WCC title
03/06/2018 - MBB and BYU Meet for WCC Tournament Title
03/06/2018 - Few Named District IX Coach of the Year; Williams Named All-District
03/05/2018 - Tillie leads No. 6 Gonzaga over San Francisco 88-60
03/04/2018 - MBB Faces San Francisco in WCC Semifinals
03/03/2018 - No. 7 Gonzaga advances to WCC semifinals
Baseball03/16/2018Women's Basketball02/24/2018Women's Basketball02/22/2018Men's Basketball02/17/2018