MBB Faces San Francisco in WCC Semifinals
March 4, 2018
No. 7/7 Gonzaga (28-4) vs. San Francisco (18-14)
MONDAY, MARCH 5 | 6 P.M. | LAS VEGAS, NEV. | ORLEANS ARENA
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the 80th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and San Francisco. GU has a 57-22 advantage in the series.
- The Zags have won 13 straight versus the Dons. USF's last win in the series came on Feb 18, 2012, 66-65, at USF.
- Gonzaga is 36-4 against San Francisco under Mark Few.
- GU has won two of three all-time meetings in the West Coast Conference Tournament, including the latest in the 2015 quarterfinals, 81-72. In the other meeting in the Orleans Arena, the Bulldogs beat USF in the 2011 semifinals.
- Gonzaga has won 28 in-a-row in Spokane in the series, including all 13 in the McCarthey Athletic Center.
- The Bulldogs are 32-2 against USF in Spokane all-time. The Dons last won in Spokane on Feb. 10, 1989, 67-64.
- GU is 21-18 all-time at San Francisco. The Bulldogs are 6-3 in the last nine meetings at USF.
- The Zags won the first matchup of the season, 75-65, at San Francisco on Jan. 13. Johnathan Williams scored 17 points and Josh Perkins added 16. Gonzaga shot 52.8 percent from the field, while USF was 38.6 percent.
- In the second meeting this season, GU held off the Dons, 82-73 in Spokane on Jan. 27. Williams and Killian Tillie both scored 16 points. San Francisco made 50.9 percent from the field in the loss.
- San Francisco edged GU, 64-62, in the first-ever meeting at USF on Jan. 28, 1961.
SCOUTING THE DONS
- San Francisco advanced to the WCC Tournament semifinals after a 71-70 overtime win over Pacific Saturday.
- Jordan Ratinho scored 20 points, including five three-pointers, while Frankie Ferrari and Matt McCarthy added 17 and 14 points. Ferrari dished out eight assists and Nate Renfro grabbed nine rebounds.
- USF finished 46.7 percent from the field, including 10-of-26 from behind-the-arc.
- The Dons have won six of their last eight games, including four of their last five. The two setbacks over the last eight games were a two-point overtime loss at BYU and a three-point loss to San Diego in the regular season finale.
- Ferrari leads the West Coast Conference with a 2.8 assist-to-turnover ratio. He averages 4.3 assists per game.
- Ferrari averages a team-high 11.4 points per game, while Souley Boum (11.2), Ratinho (10.8) and Chase Foster (10.2) also average double-digit scoring.
- McCarthy and Nate Renfro lead the team in rebounds at 5.3 and 5.0 per outing.
- Boum is seventh in the WCC with a 83.6 free-throw percentage.
- USF is fourth in the conference in scoring defense allowing 67.8 points per game.
- San Francisco is limiting opponents to 43.7 percent from the field, which ranks fifth in the conference.
- Silas Melson has totaled 69 points in nine career appearances against San Francisco, going 23-of-49 from the field.
- He scored a career-high against the Dons in the 2015-16 game in Spokane. Melson had 15 points and made five three-pointers, with four rebounds. He scored 14 points with five rebounds in the first meeting this season.
- Josh Perkins has started in all six of his appearances against San Francisco. He has totaled 64 points and 25 assists in his career against the Dons. In the 2015-16 meeting in Spokane, Perkins scored 13 points with six rebounds and five assists.
ZAGS IN THE WCC TOURNAMENT
- Gonzaga is 54-15 all-time in the WCC Tournament with 16 titles and 23 finals appearances, including each of the last 20 seasons.
- The Zags carry a 15-game winning streak in the league tournament.
- GU is 35-4 under Mark Few in the WCC Tournament with title-game appearances in all 18 seasons.
- Senior Silas Melson is 9-0 in the WCC tournament games that he has played in.
- Gonzaga has won in the WCC tournament semifinals in each of the past 20 years. The Zags last loss in the WCC semifinals was 1994, 83-75, to San Diego in Santa Clara.
- The Bulldogs are 23-2 in semifinal games at the tournament, including all nine in Las Vegas.
- Gonzaga is 7-2 in the WCC Tournament finals played in Las Vegas, winning the last five titles. The two losses were both to Saint Mary's (2012: 78-74 OT and 2010: 81-62)
- The Bulldogs are 16-7 in championship games at the tournament, including 7-2 in the finals against Saint Mary's
(5-2 versus SMC in title games in Las Vegas).
- Gonzaga has won the opening game of tournament the past 21 years, dating back to a loss in 64-59 in the 1997 quarterfinals to fourth-seeded San Diego as a fifth-seed.
- The Bulldogs are 26-6 in opening games at the tournament, including 14-6 in the quarterfinals (nine straight wins).
- If you include the WCC Tournament, the Bulldogs have won 47 of their last 48 road or neutral league contests.
VIVA LAS ZAGAS
- Gonzaga returns to Las Vegas where it has won six of the last seven WCC tournaments, including the last five.
- The Zags are 21-2 in the West Coast Conference Tournament since 2009, when the event moved to Las Vegas.
- Gonzaga's two losses in the tournament in Las Vegas have both been to Saint Mary's, the 2010 and 2012 finals.
- The Bulldogs were 33-13 in the conference tournament prior to it coming to Vegas.
- The Zags have never lost an opening game of the tournament in Las Vegas, winning all 10.
TOP DOGS AGAIN
- Gonzaga is the top seed in the West Coast Conference Tournament for the 17th time.
- The Zags have won four straight WCC Tournament titles as the No. 1 seed.
- GU is 34-5 in the WCC Tournament as the one-seed.
- Last season, the Bulldogs beat second-seeded Saint Mary's in the tournament championship, 74-56.
WHAT A SECOND HALF
- Gonzaga nearly broke the program record for highest field goal percentage in a half in Thursday's quarterfinal win.
- The Zags made 79.2 percent (19-of-24) from the field in the second half versus Loyola Marymount.
- The program record is 80 percent set twice, against San Francisco (16-of-20) on Jan. 16, 1988, and versus Santa Clara (12-of-15) on Jan. 23, 1982.
- Killian Tillie made all five of his three-point attempts against Loyola Marymount in the WCC Tournament semifinals.
- It was not only the most three-pointers he has made in a single game in his career, but also the most attempted.
- His 23-point performance was his seventh 20-point game this season, which is a team-high.
- Tillie finished 9-of-12 from the field in the game, along with grabbing seven rebounds.
03/11/2018 - NCAA Men's Basketball Ticket Information
03/12/2018 - MBB and Spartans Meet Thursday in Boise
03/11/2018 - MBB Meets UNC-Greensboro in First Round
03/06/2018 - No. 6 Gonzaga beats BYU 74-54 for sixth straight WCC title
03/06/2018 - MBB and BYU Meet for WCC Tournament Title
03/06/2018 - Few Named District IX Coach of the Year; Williams Named All-District
03/05/2018 - Tillie leads No. 6 Gonzaga over San Francisco 88-60
Baseball03/17/2018Baseball03/16/2018Women's Basketball02/24/2018Women's Basketball02/22/2018