MBB Meets No. 7/7 Florida in PK80 Semifinals
Nov. 24, 2017
No. 17/17 Gonzaga (4-0) vs. No. 7/7 Florida (4-0)
FRIDAY, NOV. 24 | 8 P.M. | PORTLAND, ORE. | MODA CENTER
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the fourth all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Florida.
- The teams met in the semifinals of the AdvoCare Invitational last season in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. GU rallied from an 11-point deficit late in the first half for the 77-72 win. The Zags trailed for 27:28 and led for 8:46.
- It was one of only two games that Gonzaga trailed at halftime last season. The Gators led 37-32 at the break.
- Josh Perkins matched a game-high with 18 points, while Silas Melson chipped in 12 points for the Bulldogs.
- In the first all-time meeting, Casey Calvary’s tip-in in the final seconds of the 1999 West Regional semifinal in Phoenix, Ariz., gave the Zags a 73-72 unforgettable Sweet 16 victory. GU has been in every NCAA Tournament since.
- The Gators won the second matchup, 85-71, in the 2000 Orange Bowl Classic in Sunrise, Fla.
- The Bulldogs are 13-7 all-time versus current members from the Southeastern Conference. GU beat South Carolina in last season’s national semifinals in the latest meeting with an SEC foe.
SCOUTING THE GATORS
- Florida cruised to a 108-87 win over Stanford in the quarterfinals of the PK80 Thursday.
- The Gators made 13 of their 18 three-pointers in the first half, and finished 15-of-22 in the game.
- Egor Koulechov scored a game-high 26 points and made all five of his three-point attempts.
- Four other Gators finished in double-digits, including Jalen Hudson, who made four three-pointers and had 17 points.
- Florida finished 58.5 percent from the field, while Stanford shot 54 percent.
- The Gators made 13 steals, forcing 18 turnovers, and creating 32 points off of turnovers.
- Koulechov averages a team-high 21.8 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. He is shooting 56 percent from behind-the-arc.
- Four more Gators average double-digits. Hudson is scoring 17.8 points per game.
- Chris Chiozza averages 10 points, and has a team-high 24 assists and seven steals. He made four steals Thursday.
- Florida is averaging 100.5 points through their first four games, outscoring opponents by 27.5 points.
- The Gators were picked second in the SEC preseason media poll, led by first-team selection KeVaughn Allen.
GIVING THANKS FOR THESE TOURNAMENTS
- Gonzaga is 32-8 under Mark Few in tournaments during the week of Thanksgiving.
- The Zags are 21-2 in the last seven Thanksgiving tournaments, including this one.
- Under Mark Few, GU has won five tournaments during the week of Thanksgiving, and played in eight of the 12 tournament championship games.
BULLSEYE AGAINST BUCKEYES
- Gonzaga shot a season-high 58.5 percent from the field in the 86-59 win over Ohio State Thursday.
- The Zags were also a season-best 48 percent from three-point range (12-of-25).
- Josh Perkins made five three-pointers in the first half, finishing 6-of-9 with 20 points.
- GU broke open a close game by holding the Buckeyes scoreless over the final 7:48 of the first half, closing the half on an 11-0 run.
12/04/2017 - Norvell Jr. Named WCC Player of the Week
12/01/2017 - Tillie, Norvell lift No. 15 Zags over No. 25 Creighton 91-74
11/30/2017 - MBB Hosts No. 25/23 Creighton Friday
11/29/2017 - Hachimura leads No. 15 Gonzaga over Incarnate Word 103-68
11/27/2017 - MBB and Incarnate Word Meet for the First Time
11/27/2017 - Williams Named WCC Player of the Week
11/26/2017 - No. 17 Gonzaga holds off Texas 76-71 in OT
Athletics12/13/2017Women's Basketball12/09/2017Women's Basketball12/02/2017Men's Basketball12/01/2017