Nov. 25, 2017
Gonzaga Notes (pdf)
Texas Notes (pdf)
No. 17/17 Gonzaga (4-1) vs. RV/RV Texas (4-1)
SUNDAY, NOV. 26 | 10 A.M. | PORTLAND, ORE. | MODA CENTER
ABOUT THE SERIES
- Sunday’s contest marks the third meeting between Texas and Gonzaga.
- The Bulldogs have won both previous matchups. Both prior meetings have come at neutral sites.
- In the first meeting (Nov. 23, 2001), Gonzaga recorded a 67-64 win in the semifinals of the Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout in Anchorage. UT went on to advance to the NCAA Sweet 16 that season.
- In the most recent matchup (Dec. 2, 2006), the No. 22 Bulldogs registered an 87-77 victory in the Basketball Hall of Fame Challenge in Phoenix. That Texas team featured Kevin Durant.
- The Bulldogs are 18-8 against current Big 12 members. Gonzaga beat West Virginia in last season’s Sweet 16 in the latest matchup with a Big 12 opponent.
SCOUTING THE LONGHORNS
- Texas fell in overtime to top-ranked Duke in the PK80 Motion Bracket semifinals, 85-78.
- The Longhorns led for a total of 37:13 in the contest, including 43-31 at halftime.
- UT led by as much as 16 points (62-46) with 10:25 remaining in regulation.
- Dylan Osetkowski led Texas with 19 points. Kerwin Roach II and Andrew Jones added 18 and 16 points.
- Mohamed Bamba pulled down 10 rebounds and chipped in nine points. Jones dished out six assists.
- Jones averages a team-high 14.2 points per game. Osetkowski (13 ppg), Roach II (12.8 ppg) and Bamba (10.8 ppg) are also averaging double-digits. Bamba is averaging a double-double, grabbing 10 boards a contest.
GIVING THANKS FOR THESE TOURNAMENTS
- Gonzaga is 32-9 under Mark Few in tournaments during the week of Thanksgiving.
- The Zags are 21-3 in the last seven Thanksgiving tournaments, including this one.
- Under Mark Few, GU has won five tournaments during the week of Thanksgiving, and played in eight of the 12 tournament championship games.
HISTORIC NIGHT FOR J-THREE
- Johnathan Williams led the Zags with a career-high 39 points on 16-of-22 shooting from the field in the 111-105 double-overtime loss to No. 3 Florida.
- He grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds, with six offensive boards. Williams had season-highs in points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks and minutes against the Gators Friday. His points and 44 minutes were career-highs.
- Williams is averaging 30 points on 24-of-32 (75 percent) shooting in the PK80 Invitational.