MBB Plays First True Road Game at Washington Sunday
Dec. 8, 2017
No. 12/13 Gonzaga (7-2) at Washington (7-2)
SUNDAY, DEC. 10 | 5 P.M. PT | SEATTLE | ALASKA AIRLINES ARENA
TV: Pac-12 Network
RADIO: Gonzaga IMG Radio Network
LIVE VIDEO: Pac-12 Network
LIVE STATS: Gametracker
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the 46th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Washington.
- The Huskies have a 29-16 advantage in the series all-time, but GU has won 10 of the last 11 matchups, including the latest last season in Spokane, 98-71.
- Nigel Williams-Goss scored 23 points. Silas Melson, Josh Perkins and Johnathan Williams combined for 27 points.
- Gonzaga has won the last three meetings, dating back to a 99-95 Washington win in Dec. 4, 2005.
- Washington won the first meeting in the series, 23-14, on Feb. 24, 1910.
- The Huskies have won 18 of the 23 meetings in Seattle, including the latest, 99-95, on Dec. 4, 2005.
- Gonzaga’s last win at Washington came on Dec. 3, 2003, 86-62. No. 17 Gonzaga shot 61 percent and enjoyed a 54-16 advantage in the paint. Cory Violette scored 15 points, while Richard Fox grabbed 14 rebounds.
- Seventeen of the last 18 meetings between the programs have come in the month of December.
SCOUTING THE HUSKIES
- Washington is coming off a phenomenal 74-65 win over No. 2 Kansas in Kansas City Wednesday.
- Matisse Thybulle hit five 3-pointers and scored 19 points and Jaylen Nowell added 15 points. Noah Dickerson added 13 points and 14 rebounds. UW limited the Jayhawks to 5 for 20 from the 3-point arc.
- Four Huskies are averaging double-digit scoring led by Nowell’s 17.8 points per game.
- Dickerson is averaging 16 points and a team-high 8.7 rebounds per game.
- David Crisp and Thybulle are adding 12.9 and 12.1 points per outing. Crisp has a team-best 31 assists.
- Thybulle is third in the nation with 30 steals this season, an average of 3.33 per game, which ranks fourth.
- As a team, Washington ranks 24th in the country averaging 8.8 steals per game.
- The Huskies have taken the ninth-most free-throws in the NCAA so far this season with 249. They have made 176, which ranks 13th in the nation. Dickerson is 25th in the country with 52 makes from the free-throw line.
- Washington’s two losses came inside Madison Square Garden to Providence (77-70) and Virginia Tech (103-79).
- Six of the Huskies’ nine games have been decided by 10 points or less.
- Washington was selected 10th by the media in the Pac-12 preseason poll.
LIFE ON THE ROAD
- Since the 2007-08 season, Gonzaga is 155-48 in road or neutral games.
- The Zags’ 76.3-win percentage on the road or neutral games tops the nation over that span.
- Also since the 2007-08 season, the Zags are 80-23 in true road games.
- GU’s 77.7-win pct. in true road games is best in the nation.
- The Zags have won 11 straight true road games, the longest streak in the nation.
- The loss in the national championship game snapped a 22-game win streak in games outside of the McCarthey Athletic Center.
- Last season, the Bulldogs were the only team in the country that went perfect in true road games at 9-0.
- Gonzaga’s last loss in a true road game was at SMU, 69-60, on Feb. 13, 2016.
- Zach Norvell Jr. scored a career-high 22 points on 8-of-12 shooting from the field, including 4-of-8 from behind-the-arc in the loss to No. 4 Villanova. He added four rebounds and two steals in Madison Square Garden.
- Norvell Jr. has back-to-back 20-point performances, scoring 21 against No. 25 Creighton and 22 versus Villanova.
- He is averaging 20 points over the last three games, shooting 22-of-35 (62.8 percent) from the field in that span.
- Six players are averaging double-digit scoring through the first nine games of the season.
- Johnathan Williams leads the team in scoring at 14.7 points per game.
- The top seven scorers on the team are averaging at least 9.1 points per game.
- Gonzaga has had five different players lead the team in scoring in the first nine games of the season.
- The Zags have had at least three double-digit scorers in every game this season.
THE STREAK ENDED IN THE GARDEN
- Villanova shot 51.7 percent from the field against Gonzaga, ending a streak of 64 consecutive Zag opponents that were held under 50 percent from the field.
- GU has held 86 of its last 88 opponents under 50 percent from the field.
- The Zags have finished with a better percentage from the field than their opponents in 52 of the last 54 games.
- North Carolina snapped a streak of 44 straight games in the national championships, the longest streak in the nation at the time, when it was 35.6 percent from the field, compared to Gonzaga’s 33.9 percent.
03/22/2018 - Gonzaga Falls to Florida State in Sweet 16
03/21/2018 - MBB West Regional Semifinal Media Day
03/21/2018 - Few Named NABC District 9 Coach of the Year
03/19/2018 - MBB Faces Florida State in Sweet 16
03/17/2018 - NCAA West Regional Ticket Information
03/17/2018 - Gonzaga beats Ohio State 90-84 for Sweet 16 return
03/16/2018 - MBB Meets Ohio State in Second Round