MBB Returns Home for a Matchup with North Dakota
Dec. 13, 2017
No. 12/13 Gonzaga (8-2) VS. North Dakota (4-6)
SATURDAY, DEC. 16 | 5 P.M. | SPOKANE | MCCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER
RADIO: Gonzaga IMG Radio Network
LIVE VIDEO: ESPN3 (Restrictions apply)
LIVE STATS: Gametracker
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the fifth all-time meeting between Gonzaga and North Dakota.
- GU has won all four previous meetings against the Fighting Hawks, but the programs have not met since 1972.
- On Dec. 2, 1972, the Zags beat North Dakota in Spokane, 90-73.
- Gonzaga has won both of the previous meetings in Spokane (85-60 on Dec. 18, 1958).
- The Bulldogs won the first-ever meeting between the teams, 78-76, in Grand Forks, on Dec. 28, 1956.
- All four meetings between the programs have been in the month of December.
- The Zags are 38-1 under Mark Few against Big Sky Conference competition.
SCOUTING THE FIGHTING HAWKS
- North Dakota fell at South Dakota State Tuesday, 99-63.
- Dale Jones had a career-high 18 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the floor to pace the Fighting Hawks, who also got 10 points from Conner Avants. Geno Crandall had six rebounds and three assists.
- Avants went 4-for-5 from the floor and added two free throws to reach double figures for the seventh-straight game.
- South Dakota State made 58 percent from the field, while UND was held to 39 percent.
- It was the third straight setback for North Dakota. The Fighting Hawks’ fell at Creighton on Dec. 5, 111-68.
- Four Fighting Hawks are averaging double-figures led by Crandall’s 16.5 points. He’s added a team-high 35 assists.
- Marlon Stewart (13.7), Avants (12.2) and Cortez Seales (11.0) are also averaging double-figures as well.
- Crandall moved his career point total to 980. He is looking to become the sixth player in UND’s Division I history and 36th overall to reach that plateau. Crandall, who has only played in 67 career games (14.5 ppg), is on pace to become the fastest of UND’s previous five DI 1,000-point scorers to reach that feat.
- The Fighting Hawks rank second in the Big Sky Conference, averaging 8.8 steals per game.
- Led by Crandall (2.2.g, third in Big Sky) and Stewart (1.6/g, eighth in Big Sky), the Fighting Hawks are forcing opponents into 15.3 turnovers per game, which is third in the Big Sky Conference.
- North Dakota was picked fifth by the media and sixth by the coaches in the Big Sky preseason polls.
- UND won the Big Sky Conference regular season and tournament titles last season.
HERE’S A DEBUT FOR YOU
- Zach Norvell Jr. has scored 22 and 21 points in his first two collegiate starts.
- He is the first Zag to record 20 points in his first two starts since Josh Heytvelt scored 22 points versus Eastern Washington on Nov. 10, 2006 and 25 points against Rice on Nov. 14, 2006, during his redshirt sophomore season.
- Elias Harris was the last Gonzaga freshman to score 20 points in three straight games in 2010.
- Norvell Jr. is the first Zag to record three straight 20-point games since Nigel Williams-Goss did in last season’s WCC Tournament (3/4/17 vs. Pacific- 20 Points, 3/6/17 vs. Santa Clara- 25 Points, 3/7/17 vs. Saint Mary’s- 22 Points).
- Norvell Jr. has scored a combined 81 points over the last four games, an average of 20.25 points per contest.
- Over the past four games, the redshirt freshman is 28-of-51 (54.9 percent) from the field, 13-of-15 (86.7 percent) from the free-throw line, has made 12 three-pointers, is averaging 4.3 rebounds, and has 11 assists and six steals.
TOP DOGS ... AGAIN
- Johnathan Williams had 23 points and 12 rebounds, Zach Norvell Jr. added 21 points and Gonzaga ran away in the second half for a 97-70 win over Washington on Sunday.
- Josh Perkins added 14 points, eight assists and four steals for the Zags. Jacob Larsen chipped in 12 points, while Killian Tillie and Silas Melson both scored 11 points.
- GU led by 19 in the first half and never let the Huskies put together a sustained run in the second half.
- It was the first game in Seattle between the in-state foes since 2005, Gonzaga has won 11 of the past 12 meetings.
- Five GU players are averaging double-digit scoring through the first 10 games of the season.
- Johnathan Williams leads the team in scoring at 15.5 points per game.
- The top seven scorers on the team are averaging at least 9.4 points per game.
- Gonzaga has had five different players lead the team in scoring in the first 10 games of the season.
- The Zags have had at least three double-digit scorers in every game this season.
- Six Zags finished in double-figures in the win at Washington, a first since last season versus Loyola Marymount on Jan. 12.
- Over the past eight seasons Gonzaga has the top field goal percentage (49.5) in the country.
- The Zags have shot over 50 percent from the field in 130 games in the last eight seasons, which also tops the nation.
- GU ranks second in the country in field goal percentage (50.9) so far this season.
DIALING FROM LONG DISTANCE
- The Bulldogs have made a three-pointer in 823 straight games, a streak that ranks 14th in the country.
- Last season, Gonzaga made 10 or more three-pointers in nine games and shot 38.2 percent from behind-the-arc. This season, the Zags are shooting 38.3 percent from three-point range and have made 10 or more threes in eight of the 10 games.
- Gonzaga ranks sixth in the country averaging 91.2 points per game.
- The Bulldogs are averaging 95.2 points per game in their five home games this season, winning by an average of 26 points.
- GU tops the WCC in scoring offense, scoring margin, rebounding offense, rebounding margin, assists and defensive rebounds.
WE’RE GOING STREAKING
- After missing his second free-throw attempt of the season, Rui Hachimura has made 17 consecutive free-throws.
- Silas Melson has made a three-pointer in 13 straight games, the longest streak of his career.
- The Zags have won 13 in-a-row at home over non-conference opponents.
03/30/2018 - Williams Named to Senior CLASS All-American Second Team
03/27/2018 - Williams Named Honorable Mention All-American
03/22/2018 - Gonzaga Falls to Florida State in Sweet 16
03/21/2018 - MBB West Regional Semifinal Media Day
03/21/2018 - Few Named NABC District 9 Coach of the Year
03/19/2018 - MBB Faces Florida State in Sweet 16
03/17/2018 - NCAA West Regional Ticket Information