MBB Travels to San Diego for Non-Conference Finale
Dec. 19, 2017
No. 12/15 Gonzaga (10-2) at San Diego State (7-3)
THURSDAY, DEC. 21 | 7 P.M. | SAN DIEGO, CALIF. | VIEJAS ARENA
TV: CBS Sports Network
LIVE RADIO: Gonzaga IMG Radio Network
LIVE STATS: Statbroadcast
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the fourth all-time meeting between Gonzaga and San Diego State.
- Gonzaga won last season’s meeting, 69-48, in Spokane during ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon.
- The then-ranked No. 14 Zags held the Aztecs to 28 percent shooting. GU’s Jordan Mathews scored 17 points.
- SDSU made only five of its first 21 shots. The Bulldogs used a late 16-0 run to give them a 61-31 lead.
- The Aztecs won the second matchup, 79-76, on Nov. 16, 2010, during the third annual ESPN Tip-Off Marathon.
- Billy White led SDSU with 30 points, while Kawhi Leonard added 18 points and 12 rebounds.
- Gonzaga won the first meeting, 72-69, in the 1959 City of Roses Tournament in Portland.
- The Zags are 39-35 against current members from the Mountain West Conference, and 7-6 under Mark Few.
- Gonzaga won its latest matchup with a Mountain West opponent, beating Utah State earlier this season, 79-66.
SCOUTING THE AZTECS
- San Diego State has not played since a 63-62 home loss to California on Dec. 9.
- SDSU’s Malik Pope had 20 points and eight rebounds, while Matt Mitchell and Jeremy Hemsley each had 13 points.
- The Aztecs had a 62-58 lead after Hemsley made one of two free throws with 50.5 seconds left.
- Cal made 53.8 percent from the field, while SDSU was 38.5 percent. The Aztecs forced 17 turnovers.
- San Diego State overcame its largest deficit (14 points) of the season in the loss.
- The Aztecs are 20th in the nation averaging 41.3 rebounds per game.
- Four San Diego State players are averaging double-digits led by Devin Watson’s 13.4 points per game.
- Watson sat out last season after transferring from fellow West Coast Conference member San Francisco.
- In five career games against Gonzaga, Watson has averaged 16.2 points, scoring 33 in an overtime loss in 2016.
- Pope (12.6), Trey Kell (12.3) and Mitchell (10.9) are also averaging double-digits this season for SDSU.
- Pope is grabbing a team-high 7.0 rebounds per game, while Watson leads the team with 38 assists and 16 steals.
- San Diego State was picked to finish second in the Mountain West media poll. Trey Kell was named a preseason all-Mountain West selection.
- Brian Dutcher is in his first season as head coach for the Aztecs, after serving as an assistant for 18 years.
LIFE ON THE ROAD
- Since the 2005-06 season, Gonzaga is 182-61 in road or neutral games.
- The Zags’ 74.9-win percentage on the road or neutral games tops the nation over that span.
- Also since the 2007-08 season, the Zags are 81-23 in true road games.
- GU’s 77.7-win pct. in true road games is best in the nation.
- The Zags have won 12 straight true road games, the longest streak in the nation.
- The loss in the national championship game snapped a 22-game win streak in games outside of the McCarthey Athletic Center.
- Last season, the Bulldogs were the only team in the country that went perfect in true road games at 9-0.
- Gonzaga’s last loss in a true road game was at SMU, 69-60, on Feb. 13, 2016.
LIGHTS OUT AGAINST THE JAGUARS
- The Zags made 68 percent (34-of-50) from the field in the 101-71 win over IUPUI Monday.
- It was the most accurate shooting performance in the West Coast Conference so far this season.
- After shooting 62.5 percent from the field in the first half, GU made 73.1 percent (19-of-26) in the second half.
- It was the most accurate shooting from the Bulldogs since shooting 69 percent (29-of-42) at Santa Clara in 2015.
- It was also the highest percentage at home since Gonzaga went 27-of-39 (69.2 percent) versus Pacific in 2014.
- Over the past eight seasons Gonzaga has the top field goal percentage (49.5) in the country.
- The Zags have shot over 50 percent from the field in 131 games in the last eight seasons, which also tops the nation.
- GU ranks 11th in the country in field goal percentage (51.4) so far this season.
HITTING THE CENTURY MARK
- Gonzaga scored 101 points in its win over IUPUI Monday. It marked the third time this season the Zags have scored 100 points in a game. (Howard, 106 and Florida, 105)
- It’s the first time GU has scored 100 points in three games during a single season since the 2000-01 season.
- The last time the Bulldogs reached 100 points three times during non-conference play was the 1990-91 season.
- Josh Perkins recorded his 100th career steal in the win over IUPUI Monday.
- The redshirt junior averages 1.7 steals per game, which ranks fourth in the West Coast Conference.
- He made a career-high five steals in the win over North Dakota.
OH MY GOSH JOSH
- In the last three games, Perkins has 10 steals and 21 assists.
- Perkins is 14th in the nation with 39 made three-pointers and 32nd at 3.25 three-pointers made per game.
- Both of those stats lead the West Coast Conference.
- He also tops the WCC in three-point percentage at 50 percent, which is 17th in the NCAA.
STREAKING IN THE MCCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER
- The Zags won their 15th straight game against non-conference competition inside the McCarthey Athletic Center Monday.
- It also marked the second straight season GU finished perfect in its non-conference games at home.
- The last non-conference team to beat the Bulldogs at home was UCLA on Dec. 12, 2015, 71-66.
03/22/2018 - Gonzaga Falls to Florida State in Sweet 16
03/21/2018 - MBB West Regional Semifinal Media Day
03/21/2018 - Few Named NABC District 9 Coach of the Year
03/19/2018 - MBB Faces Florida State in Sweet 16
03/17/2018 - NCAA West Regional Ticket Information
03/17/2018 - Gonzaga beats Ohio State 90-84 for Sweet 16 return
03/16/2018 - MBB Meets Ohio State in Second Round