MBB Closes Out 2017 Against Santa Clara
Dec. 29, 2017
No. 20/19 Gonzaga (11-3, 1-0) vs. Santa Clara (4-9, 1-0)
SATURDAY, DEC. 30 | 4 P.M. | SPOKANE | MCCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER
ABOUT THE SERIES
- This is the 90th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Santa Clara. GU owns a 59-30 advantage in the series.
- GU has won 38 of the last 40 meetings against the Broncos, including the last 15 straight matchups.
- Santa Clara’s last win in the series was an 85-71 home victory on Jan. 20, 2011. SCU last won in Spokane in 2007.
- The Bulldogs are 38-4 against SCU under Mark Few.
- The teams last met in last season’s WCC Tournament semifinals. Nigel Williams-Goss had 25 points and eight rebounds, and Gonzaga secured a spot in the WCC final for the 20th straight season with a 77-68 victory.
- In last season’s meeting in Spokane, the Zags rolled to a 90-55 win. Josh Perkins scored 15 points and the Zags, playing the school’s first home game as the nation’s No. 1 team, shot 61 percent from the field.
- The Bulldogs are 30-6 all-time in Spokane in the series, and has won 10 straight at home versus the Broncos.
- Gonzaga cruised to an 88-57 win in Santa Clara last season.
- Santa Clara won the first all-time meeting between the programs, 67-62, in Santa Clara on Feb. 3, 1959.
SCOUTING THE BRONCOS
- Santa Clara opened West Coast Conference play with a 72-65 home win over Pepperdine Thursday.
- The Broncos shot 39 percent from the field, but forced 16 turnovers, and snapped a four-game losing streak.
- Matt Hauser scored 19 points, while Henry Caruso and KJ Feagin added 16 and 15 points.
- Feagin dished out six assists, and Emmanuel Ndumanya made four steals.
- Santa Clara is 0-4 in games outside of the Leavey Center this season.
- Feagin leads the team and ranks second in the WCC in scoring (18.7 ppg). Caruso (13.6 ppg), Josip Vrankic (11 ppg) and Hauser (10.8 ppg) are also averaging double-digit scoring.
- Caruso is seventh in the conference averaging 6.9 rebounds per game. Hauser is second in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio and eighth in assists per game (4.1).
- Feagin has reached double figures in scoring in all 13 games and Caruso has in 11.
- The Broncos average 10.8 turnovers per game which ranks 15th in the nation and second in the conference. They lead the WCC in turnover margin and are second in assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Gonzaga has 18 blocked shots over the last two games.
- The Bulldogs blocked seven shots in the first half against Pacific, before ending with eight in the game.
- The program-record for blocked shots in a single game is 11, set five times including the latest versus Pepperdine in 2010.
- The Zags blocked 10 shots in the 72-70 setback at San Diego State.
JUST FINE AT THE LINE
- Rui Hachimura (.939, 31-of-33) and Killian Tillie (.909, 30-of-33) are first and second in free-throw percentage in the West Coast Conference. Silas Melson (.893, 25-of-28) and Zach Norvell Jr. (.862, 25-of-29) are close behind.
- Tillie has made 19 consecutive free-throws, while Melson has made 13 in-a-row.
01/09/2018 - MBB Returns to Spokane for Matchup with Portland
01/06/2018 - Williams leads No. 19 Gonzaga past Loyola Marymount, 85-66
01/05/2018 - MBB Closes L.A. Trip at LMU Saturday
01/04/2018 - No. 19 Gonzaga overwhelms Pepperdine 89-59
01/04/2018 - Williams a Candidate for Senior CLASS Award
01/02/2018 - MBB Opens the New Year at Pepperdine
12/30/2017 - No. 20 Gonzaga scores 1st 15 points, tops Santa Clara 101-52
Men's Basketball01/18/2018Women's Basketball01/13/2018Men's Basketball01/11/2018Women's Basketball01/06/2018