Men's Golf at WCC Championships this Weekend
April 18, 2017
Gonzaga at the West Coast Conference Championships
THURSDAY-SATURDAY, APRIL 20-22, 2017 | PROVO, UTAH | RIVERSIDE COUNTRY CLUB
PAR AND DISTANCE: Par-72 | 7,142 yards
FIRST GU TEE TIME: 7:45 a.m. PT
LIVE SCORING: golfstat.com
LAST TIME AT EVENT: 2016 | 5th, 880 (+16)
TOP GU INDIVIDUAL: Sean Walsh | T14th, 218 (+2)
ABOUT THE EVENT:
- The 49th annual West Coast Conference Championships begins Monday. The 54-hole event runs over three days at the Riverside Country Club in Provo, Utah. This is the first time the event will be played on the course.
- The field in order of their Golfstat rankings, the nine-team tournament includes #22 Pepperdine, #47 Brigham Young, #57 Saint Mary's, #85 San Francisco, #113 Loyola Marymount, #129 Santa Clara, #174 Pacific, #178 Gonzaga and #183 San Diego.
- Seven WCC student-athletes recorded medalist honors in 2016-17. Saint Mary's Eduardo Carrete, Perry Cohen, and Pavan Sagoo, BYU's Patrick Fishburn and Rhett Rasmussen, Pepperdine's Sahith Theegala, Loyola Marymount's Blake Meek all posted wins.
- Four WCC student-athletes rank in the top-100 nationally according to GolfStat: Pepperdine's Sahith Theegala (18) and Roy Cootes (97) and BYU's Patrick Fishburn (40) and Rhett Rasmussen (73).
- At the 2016 championship, the Gaels dominated the competition taking a 23-shot victory over the runner-up Waves. Jonathan De Los Reyes shot the lowest score in WCC tournament history at 19-under (197).
LAST YEAR'S WCC CHAMPIONSHIPS:
- Gonzaga finished the 2015-16 season with their lowest round total of the season.
- The Zags' 285 total jumped them up to fifth on the team leaderboard to finish fifth at the 2016 West Coast Conference Championships on the Lakeside Course at the Blackhawk Country Club in Danville, Calif.
- The Bulldogs were three-under in the third and final round. GU finished the WCC Championships 16-over (880). The three-round total matches the second-lowest outcome of the season.
- Sean Walsh led Gonzaga in a tie for 14th on the individual leaderboard. He was two-over (218) in the event.
GONZAGA'S HISTORY IN THE CHAMPIONSHIPS:
- The Zags best finish at the championships was tied for third with an 880 total in 2013.
- Gonzaga's lowest score was 867 in 2012. The Bulldogs finished fourth that season.
- No GU men's golfer has ever won the event, but James Fahy and Sean Walsh placed second and third in 2013. Fahy was two-under (214) and Walsh was one-under (215).
ABOUT THE COURSE:
- The Riverside Country Club course is a short distance away from the campus of BYU. The club offers terrific views and challenging play for golfers at every skill level. Well-groomed fairways and greens keep Riverside Country Club difficult yet friendly.
- Designed by William F. Bell, ASGCA/William H. Neff, ASGCA, the Riverside golf course opened in 1960.
FIVE ZAGS NAMED ACADEMIC ALL-WCC:
- David Ganz and Ryan Gaske both represented the Gonzaga men's golf team on the 2017 West Coast Conference All-Academic Team.
- Ben DuBois, Angus Montgomery and Tyler Munetake were all named honorable mention Academic All-WCC.
- Four student-athletes make their second straight all-academic first team including Gaske. Ganz was Academic All-Conference honorable mention last season. Montgomery makes a second straight appearance on the honorable mention list.
10/24/2017 - Ganz Finishes in Top-Five in Georgia
10/23/2017 - Ganz Tied for Second at Pinetree Intercollegiate
10/22/2017 - Gonzaga in Georgia for the Pinetree Intercollegiate
10/03/2017 - Munetake Paces Zags with Top-15 Finish
10/02/2017 - Munetake Tied for 15th Entering Final Round
10/01/2017 - Zags Travel to Fresno for Nick Watney Invitational
09/24/2017 - Zags Finish 10th at Maui Jim Intercollegiate
Women's Basketball01/13/2018Men's Basketball01/11/2018Women's Basketball01/06/2018Women's Basketball01/04/2018