GU will face Bradley under the lights on Friday at 6 p.m.
Aug. 25, 2016
Gonzaga Game Notes
LIGHT UP LUGER:
- Gonzaga’s season opener against Bradley will be the first-ever soccer match under the new lights at Luger Field. The match starts at 6 p.m. with sunset predicted for 7:40 p.m. by The Weather Channel.
- In addition to Gonzaga’s two matches on Friday and Sunday, San Diego State will join the mix, facing UIC on Friday at 3:30 p.m. and then taking on Bradley at noon on Sunday.
Live streams: SDSU - UIC (Friday - 3:30 p.m.) | SDSU - Bradley (Sunday - 12 p.m.)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- Gonzaga will face Bradley in a return from a roadtrip that GU made to Normal, Illinois, last season where the Zags took a 2-0 win over the Braves. That was the lone meeting between the schools.
- On Sunday, Gonzaga hosts Illinois-Chicago on a return from a roadtrip GU made in 2013 where the Zags fell 1-0. The Zags and Flames have met three times with UIC holding a 2-1 edge. This will be the first meeting between the squads in Spokane.
WHITE NAMED PRESEASON ALL-WCC
- Ben White, a junior who also earned All-WCC First Team honors last season, was named to the 11-member preseason All-WCC team.
- A defender, White helped the team rank third in the league in goals-against average at 1.17 and tie for first in the league in fewest goals allowed at 21.
- On offense, White was a force, scoring a team-high four goals and ranking second on the team with nine points. His four goals ranked in a tie for sixth in the league.
- White was also second on the team with 32 shots and 12 shots on goal.
CAREER RECORD WATCH:
- Returning senior Jakob Granlund is tied for ninth all-time in assists in his career with 11. Last season, he tallied five total assists.
- Granlund also stands just five shots outside the top 10 all-time in total shots taken with 101.
TAKING A LOOK BACK:
- Gonzaga’s defense kept the team in the game throughout the season, tying for the West Coast Conference lead in fewest goals allowed at 21 on the year. GU’s 1.17 goals-against average was third in the league.
- Gonzaga played in 14 games that were decided by one goal, going 6-8 in those games.
- Ben White was named to the All-WCC First Team, Jakob Granlund and Conner Bevans were named to the All-WCC Second Team and Garrett Wilson was named to the WCC All-Freshman Team. White, Granlund and Wilson all return to the pitch for the Zags this season.
- Defender Ben White was the leading goal scorer with four on the season, and was tied with graduated senior Conner Bevans and returning senior Jakob Granlund with two game winners.
- Granlund led the team with five assists on the season, while Bevans, returning sophomore Jake Kempf and returning junior Colton Cavey were second with two assists each.
- Granlund led the team with 49 shots on the season and 22 shots on goal...that was 17 more than White’s 32 overall and 10 more than White’s 12 on goal. Senior-to-be Graison Le was the next highest on the team with 29 shots overall and six on goal.