Aug. 30, 2017
Gonzaga (1-0-0) vs. UC Riverside (0-1-0)
FRIDAY, SEP. 1 | 7 P.M. | SPOKANE, WASH. | LUGER FIELD
LIVE STATS | LIVE VIDEO
The Last Meeting
September 18, 2016
No. 20 Zags Edged 2-1 By UC Riverside
Riverside, Calif. – The No. 20 Gonzaga Bulldogs were unable to overcome two second-half goals and fell on the road to UC Riverside, 2-1, on Sunday morning.
Gonzaga (1-0-0) vs. American (0-2-0)
SUNDAY, SEP. 3 | 4 P.M. | SPOKANE, WASH. | LUGER FIELD
LIVE STATS | LIVE VIDEO
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- The Zags are meeting both opponents for the second-consecutive season.
- The Bulldogs defeated then No. 20 American in Washington D.C. 3-1 on September 9. Sam Olson, Austin Giftopoulos, and Christo Michaelson all scored in that game with Jalen Crisler and Ben White getting assists.
- The Zags lost to UCR in Riverside, 2-1, when the Zags were ranked No. 20 last year. Giftopoulos scored on an assist from White.
- The teams have never met in Spokane. The Zags have played UCR in Corvallis, Ore. and in Las Vegas. They have faced American in Charlottesville, Va.
ON SHORT NOTICE:
- With Hurricane Harvey hitting the Texas coast, the Houston Baptist Invitational was cancelled by the host school.
- The Zags were set to officially open their 2017 season in Houston, with all four matches involving Gonzaga, HBU, UT Rio Grande Valley, and Bradley scheduled for Friday, Aug. 25, and Sunday, Aug. 27, being cancelled.
- The Bulldogs scheduled a last-minute trip to Peoria, Ill. to play Bradley and Austin Giftopoulos’ double-overtime goal gave them the 2-1 win. Christo Michaelson also scored and Nick Ulowetz and Jalen Crisler had assists, with Ben White collecting two.
SCOUTING THE HIGHLANDERS AND EAGLES:
- UCR was picked to finish third in the South Division in the Big West and senior midfielder Ricardo Ruiz was named to the Preseason All-Conference Team.
- American was picked third in the Patriot League Preseason Poll with five first-place votes and had no Preseason All-Conference players.
A GOOD START:
- The Zags began their season unbeaten for the second-straight year for the first time since 2005-2006.
- Last season they were unbeaten through six matches.
I’LL BE HOME FOR SEPTEMBER:
- The Bulldogs will play seven home matches in the month of September. Four will come against opponents currently ranked in the United Soccer Coaches’ Top-25 Poll.
- That is the most home matches in September since 1987, but they only played one school outside the state that month.