Oct. 3, 2017
(RV) Gonzaga (6-3-1) vs. Saint Mary's (3-4-3)
SATURDAY, OCT. 7 | 7 P.M. | SPOKANE, WASH. | LUGER FIELD
LIVE STATS | theW.tv
The Last Meeting
November 6, 2016
- The Gaels have won the last four meetings and 10 of the last 12.
- The Zags’ last win in the series came in 2013, a 3-1 win at home. That was the season finale for both teams that season.
- GU won 10 matches from 1996 to 2007, but the Gaels have had the upper hand since 2008.
- SMC won 3-1 in Moraga last year, Connor Ourada and Christo Michaelson assisted Jakob Granlund for the GU goal.
SCOUTING THE GAELS:
- The Gaels defeated Cal State Northridge, Denver, and Sacramento State in their non-conference schedule.
- They have seen four matches go to double overtime, three of them ending in ties.
- Jake Rudel leads the charge with three goals this season.
UNBEATEN HOME STAND:
- The Saint Mary’s match ends a four-match home stand for Gonzaga, in which they are currently unbeaten.
- The streak began with a 0-0 tie against No. 14 Air Force, and back-to-back 2-1 wins over Utah Valley and Denver.
- The last unbeaten four-match home stand stretch for the Zags was in 2001. They were unbeaten five matches during that home stand.
MAN DOWN, NO PROBLEM
- The Zags played the last eight minutes of regulation and into overtime 10 vs. 11 against Denver, but just 58 seconds into extra time Joe Corner slipped a cross into the DU box and Christo Michaelson stepped in between two defenders to one-touch it home for the comeback win.
- The last Zags win when they had a red card was in 2015, when they defeated Northwestern at home 1-0. They picked up the red card already ahead 1-0 and held on for the win.
- The last time the Zags came back to win with a red card was in 2007 at Milwaukee. Nick Barclay scored the game-winner in the 60th minute.
- The Zags fell in their conference opener last year, but defeated Portland 2-1 in overtime in 2015 to start the WCC season. They won three-straight conference openers from 2013-2015.
- The Zags won six non-conference games for the second-straight year and third time since 1999.
- The Zags are 58th in the first release of the NCAA RPI this week and receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches Poll.
- Gonzaga senior Ben White is off to a hot start this season, he is currently 38th in the nation and second in the WCC in assists per game at .50. He has scored or given the assist on eight of GU’s 15 goals this season.
I’LL BE HOME FOR SEPTEMBER:
- The Bulldogs played seven home matches in the month of September.
- That is the most home matches in September since 1987, but they only played one school outside the state that month.
- GU won four of those matches, as they won five in September last year. That is the highest two-year total since they won 12 from 1996 to 1997.