Gonzaga Falls to Portland, 4-1
April 8, 2017
SPOKANE, Wash. – The Gonzaga men’s tennis team picked up its 10th doubles point of the season, but it wasn’t enough as the Bulldogs fell to No. 41 Portland 4-1 at The Stevens Center Saturday afternoon.
Gonzaga started off strong against the visiting Portland Pilots as Ruadhan O’Sullivan and Sam Feit coasted to a 6-2 win over Portland’s Michail Pervolarakis and Mathieu Garcia on court one for an early doubles advantage. Portland came back to take a victory on court two as Pierre Garcia and Felix Fan defeated Vincent Rettke and Kyle Everly, 6-3.
Down early, Simón Homedes Dualde and Ronzai Saurombe battled back from a 5-2 deficit on court three to force a tiebreak against the Pilots’ Jamie Fisher and Carlos Donat. Saurombe described the feeling as “electrifying,” playing for the clinching doubles point in front of a spirited home crowd. Dualde and Saurombe took their strong momentum into the tiebreak and claimed the doubles victory for the Zags with a 7-5 win. The doubles win was Dualde/Saurombe’s ninth in dual play this season, a team-best.
The Zags battled hard in singles play, forcing third sets on courts three and four and a second set-tiebreak on court five, but Portland came away with victories in all games that finished to clinch the match victory.
The Pilots’ Mathieu Garcia opened singles play with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Rettke on court two, while Pervolarakis defeated O’Sullivan 6-0, 6-3 on court one. Portland’s Felix Fan defeated Homedes Dualde on court six, 6-1, 6-4, to put the Pilots on the brink. On court five, Everly put up a fight, but Donat clinched the victory for Portland with a 6-1, 7-5 win.
The Zags head south next weekend to Moraga, Calif., and Stockton, Calif., for their next two matches against Saint Mary’s and Pacific, before returning to The Stevens Center on April 21st and April 23rd for a final homestand to close out West Coast Conference play against LMU and Pepperdine.
Apr 08, 2017 at Spokane, Wash.
The Stevens Center
1. #100 PERVOLARAKIS, Mike (POR) def. O'Sullivan, Ruadhan (GON) 6-0, 6-3
2. GARCIA, Mathieu (POR) def. Rettke, Vincent (GON) 6-3, 6-3
3. Feit, Sam (GON) vs. GARCIA, Pierre (POR) 6-3, 2-6, 0-2, unfinished
4. Saurombe, Ronzai (GON) vs. WALLACE, Alex (POR) 6-3, 3-6, 2-1, unfinished
5. DONAT, Carlos (POR) def. Everly, Kyle (GON) 6-1, 7-5
6. FAN, Felix (POR) def. Homedes Dualde, Simón (GON) 6-1, 6-4
1. O'SULLIVAN, Ruadhan/FEIT, Sam (GON) def. PERVOLARAKIS, Mike/GARCIA, Mathieu (POR) 6-2
2. GARCIA, Pierre/FAN, Felix (POR) def. EVERLY, Kyle/RETTKE, Vincent (GON) 6-3
3. HOMEDES DUALDE, Simón/SAUROMBE, Ronzai (GON) def. FISHER, Jamie/DONAT, Carlos (POR) 7-5
Portland 15-1, 5-0 WCC; National ranking #41
Gonzaga 6-9, 0-5 WCC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,5,6)
04/08/2018 - Men’s Tennis Downed at Pepperdine, 4-0
04/07/2018 - Men’s Tennis Falls at No. 49 LMU
04/06/2018 - Men’s Tennis Looks to Continue Momentum in WCC Play
03/31/2018 - Men’s Tennis Beats Santa Clara, 4-2
03/30/2018 - Men’s Tennis Gets Great Effort in Win Over USF, 4-1
03/28/2018 - Men’s Tennis Returns Home For Two WCC Matches
03/23/2018 - Men’s Tennis Suffers 4-1 Loss at BYU