Gonzaga Ends Road Slate with Loss in Stockton
April 15, 2017
STOCKTON, Calif.—The Gonzaga men’s tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision Saturday afternoon to Pacific at Eve Zimmerman Tennis Center in Stockton, Calif.
The dual opened up with a tightly-contested doubles point, which Pacific won in a tiebreak. The Zags’ top pair of Ruadhan O’Sullivan and Sam Feit gave GU an early advantage in doubles with a 6-2 win, but Pacific countered with a 6-3 victory on court three. In the deciding match, Vincent Rettke and Kyle Everly took Miguel Diaz and Alex Giannini to a tiebreak, but the Tigers’ duo won the race to seven points. That 7-6 (3) scoreline gave Pacific the doubles point and the 1-0 dual lead.
In singles play, one match went to three sets and a pair of frames went to tiebreaks, but the Tigers won all three that finished. They picked up a 6-0, 6-2 win on court five, and then Everly fell 6-3, 6-3 on court four.
Atop the singles lineup, O’Sullivan took Diaz to a tiebreak in the first set but fell 7-4 in the extra session for an early hole. Diaz took the second 6-1 to clinch the dual for Pacific.
On court two, Rettke was trailing a set but leading 4-3 in the second when his match was halted, and Feit was tied 3-3 in a third frame with Giannini on court three. At No. 6 singles, Emilio Moreno was one game away from a second-set victory and forcing a third at the time of the clinch.
The Bulldogs (6-11, 0-7 WCC) will close out the 2017 regular season next weekend with a pair of home matches. On Friday, April 21, the Zags will host Loyola Marymount at 2:00 p.m. Two days later, Pepperdine comes to The Stevens Center for a 1:00 p.m. contest.
April 15, 2017 at Stockton, Calif.
Eve Zimmerman Tennis Center
1. Miguel Diaz (PAC) def. O'Sullivan, Ruadhan (GON) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
2. Alex Giannini (PAC) vs. Rettke, Vincent (GON) 7-6 (7-4), 3-4, unfinished
3. Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) vs. Feit, Sam (GON) 6-1, 2-6, 3-3, unfinished
4. Ross Watson (PAC) def. Everly, Kyle (GON) 6-3, 6-3
5. Akram El Sallaly (PAC) def. Homedes Dualde, Simón (GON) 6-0, 6-2
6. Bernardo Oliveira (PAC) vs. Moreno, Emilio (GON) 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
1. O'SULLIVAN, Ruadhan/FEIT, Sam (GON) def. Tadiwa Chinamo/Akram El Sallaly (PAC) 6-2
2. Miguel Diaz/Alex Giannini (PAC) def. RETTKE, Vincent/EVERLY, Kyle (GON) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Ross Watson/Bernardo Oliveira (PAC) def. Homedes Dualde, Simón (GON)/SAUROMBE, Ronzai (GON) 6-3
Gonzaga 6-11, 0-7 WCC
Pacific 10-14, 3-5 WCC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,4,1)
04/08/2018 - Men’s Tennis Downed at Pepperdine, 4-0
04/07/2018 - Men’s Tennis Falls at No. 49 LMU
04/06/2018 - Men’s Tennis Looks to Continue Momentum in WCC Play
03/31/2018 - Men’s Tennis Beats Santa Clara, 4-2
03/30/2018 - Men’s Tennis Gets Great Effort in Win Over USF, 4-1
03/28/2018 - Men’s Tennis Returns Home For Two WCC Matches
03/23/2018 - Men’s Tennis Suffers 4-1 Loss at BYU