Nov. 25, 2017
Gonzaga (2-2) vs. DePaul (4-2)
Nov. 25, 2017 | 3 p.m. PT | FloHoops | 94.1 KJRB FM (Steve Myklebust)
Las Vegas, Nev. | Mandalay Bay Events Center (12,000) | Live Stats
ZAGS DOWN KENT STATE:
- Jill Barta hit 30 points for the first time this season and fourth time in her career, tying Ivy Safranski for the most all-time, on 11-of-17 shooting, and added six rebounds as Gonzaga beat Kent State 77-57 to advance to the fifth-place game of the Play4Kay Showcase.
- Chandler Smith scored 11 with seven rebounds and Zykera Rice added 10 points. Jessie Loera led with eight assists and the Zags hit seven threes as a team, their highest total this season.
- GU shot 49 percent and were a terror on defense, forcing 20 turnovers for 16 steals and 31 points off turnovers, all season highs.
- Six teams that participated in last season’s NCAA Women’s Tournament are among the eight-team field for the second-annual Play4Kay Showcase, Nov. 23-25, 2017.
- The event supports the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, an organization that funds women’s cancer research.
- FloHoops will offer live and on-demand coverage of the tournament. The games will stream online exclusively at www.FloHoops.com.
- The event immediately follows the MGM Resorts Main Event men’s tournament earlier this week at T-Mobile Arena.
- The tournament promotes the Play4Kay initiative, a grassroots fundraising campaign for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund. Play4Kay’s primary fundraising support comes from women’s basketball teams across the country that dedicate games throughout the season to raise funds and awareness for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.
- The charity was founded in 2007 from the vision of the organization’s namesake Kay Yow, a former N.C. State head women’s basketball coach who endured three bouts with breast cancer. Despite the disease, she coached for 38 years, recording more than 700 wins, making 20 NCAA Tournament appearances, 11 trips to the Sweet 16 and a Final Four berth in 1998. She was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987 before succumbing to the disease on January 24, 2009.
HOLIDAY HOOPS IN VEGAS:
- The Zags have only played once before during Thanksgiving in Las Vegas, the 2014 South Point Shootout at South Point Arena.
- They played two competitive games, falling to American and No. 16 Iowa by a combined 15 points. Sunny Greinacher paced Gonzaga with 16 points and Shelby Cheslek had 10 points and 13 rebounds against the Hawkeyes, and Greinacher scored a game-high 18 points against American while Cheslek recorded a double-double of 13 points and 14 rebounds.
- The Zags have played two Christmas Tournaments in Las Vegas, the 2011 and 2009 Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Classic.
- Four of the six holiday tournament games the Zags have played in Las Vegas have come against top-16 nationally ranked teams. The Zags held their own and then some, averaging 66 points while only giving up 72 and picking up a top-15 win.
- In 2011, again at the South Point Arena, the Zags defeated No. 12 Georgia 71-68. Haiden Palmer nailed a three-pointer with two-tenths of a second remaining to cap off the Gonzaga win. Two nights later Gonzaga beat Dayton, 82-76, to win the Hoops Classic. Palmer was named the Most Valuable Player, while senior Katelan Redmon earned All-Tournament honors.
- In 2009, Gonzaga fell 49-70 to No. 5 Baylor at South Point Arena. Heather Bowman had a double-double of 11 points and 11 rebounds. Two nights later, GU fell to No. 11 Texas A&M. Bowman was named to the All-Tournament Team.
- DePaul (4-2) rebounded from Thursday’s overtime loss to Florida Gulf Coast to knock off Memphis 81-67 on Friday. Tanita Allen’s 15 points led five Blue Demons in double figures.
- The Blue Demons have six players averaging in double figures on the season led by Ashton Millender at 16.7 points a game. Grays is scoring at a 15.5 clip while Coleman is averaging 13.8 points a game.
- Allen is contributing 13 points while leading the team in rebounding at 7.3 a game. The ever-improving Stonewall is averaging 11.3 points while leading the team in steals with 13 and blocks with five. Rounding out the double-figure scorers is Kelly Campbell (10) who also tops the team with 5.7 assists per game.
- Campbell was 5-for-5 from the free throw line Friday and has made 19 of her last 22. She also had a career-high six steals against Memphis.
- The Blue Demons have scored 560 points this season for an average of 93.3 points per game. In the last five games, they have connected on 69 three-pointers---an average of 13.8 per game.