Nov. 28, 2017
Gonzaga (2-3) vs. Eastern Washington (2-3)
Nov. 30, 2017 | 6 p.m. PT | theW.tv | 94.1 KJRB FM (Steve Myklebust)
Spokane, Wash. | McCarthey Athletic Center (6,000) | SWX (Greg Heister & Stephanie Hawk-Freeman) | Live Stats
The Last Meeting
December 11, 2016
- The Zags went 1-2 at the Play4Kay Showcase at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas last week. They defeated Kent State 77-57 and played competitive games against Belmont and No. 21 DePaul.
- In the three games, the Zags averaged 70 points per game and shot 44 percent from the field. The Bulldogs were great on defense, forcing 47 turnovers for 28 steals and 46 points off turnovers.
- Jill Barta was outstanding, averaging 20.3 points per game and 12 rebounds per game in Vegas, breaking the school record with 22 rebounds against Belmont and tying the school record with her fourth 30-point game of her career against Kent State. She shot 55 percent from the field and 85 percent from the foul line.
- Chandler Smith averaged 11.7 points per game and Zykera Rice averaged 11.3 points per game. Smith scored a career-high 19 points against DePaul.
- The Zags were great rim protectors as well, blocking 12 shots in the tournament, led by Barta with four, Smith with three, and freshman Jenn Wirth with three.
REGULAR-SEASON HOME OPENERS:
- The Zags are 26-5 all-time in regular-season home openers and have won the last 13.
- The Bulldogs last loss in a home opener was in 2003, 57-73 to Oregon. The Bulldogs have never lost a home opener inside the McCarthey Athletic Center.
- The Zags have averaged 75.39 points per game in those openers, while only allowing 57.74 points per game.
- GU has faced Eastern Washington three times in regular-season home openers and are 3-0. They won 87-46 in 1997, 59-57 in 1998, and most recently 54-51 in 2005. Senior Ashley Anderson hit a jumper from the right baseline to give the Bulldogs their final lead of that contest with 32 seconds remaining. Stephanie Hawk was 8-for-11 to finish with 10 points and Anderson had 19.
- The Zags lead the series 31-13 all-time.
- Gonzaga enters Thursday riding a 13-game winning streak against the Eagles and have not lost in the series since December 31, 2003, a 69-72 loss in the Spokane Arena.
- The 13-game streak marks the longest streak in the series for either team.
- The Bulldogs have won eight-straight at home and have never lost inside the McCarthey Athletic Center. The last EWU win on the Gonzaga campus was in 2000, 59-57.
- In the late 80s and early 90s, the teams met in the Wheatland Classic four times. The event took place in Cheney, Mos-cow, Idaho, Spokane, and Pullman.
- From 1982-1990, Eastern Washington won seven of the eight matchups, but since then they have only won six times in the last 36 games.
- Last season Gonzaga won 73-54 in Cheney. Kiara Kudron had her first double-double of the season and fourth of her career with 13 points and 10 rebounds, leading the team in both categories. Laura Stockton and Jill Barta each scored 12, with Stockton dishing six assists. Delaney Hodgins, who came in averaging 21 points per game, scored 13 points, and did not score until the six-minute mark of the second quarter.
- The best game in the series came on December 9 in 2006, as Gonzaga won 103-102 in overtime in Cheney. Heather Bowman paced the Bulldogs to victory scoring a career-high 32 points. Stephanie Hawk closed out the game with 18 points and 12 rebounds for the Zags.
- Jill Barta is currently 51st in the nation averaging 19.6 points per game, but only three players averaging more points than Barta also average more rebounds in the entire country.
- A’Ja Wilson of the defending National Champion South Carolina Gamecocks and last year’s Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA Tournament averages 23.9 PPG and 11.7 RPG. Nicole Enabosi of Delaware averages 22 and 13 and Megan Gustafson of Iowa averages 21.3 and 13.4.
- Barta is currently 18th in the nation averaging 11.4 rebounds per game.
SCOUTING EASTERN WASHINGTON:
- The Eagles picked up a 65-63 win over Air Force in overtime and beat Utah Valley 61-41 in their latest game to enter 2-3. They played at home against West Coast Conference member BYU and lost in a close one, 69-73.
- Delaney Hodgins posted 28 points in back-to-back games at Fresno State and Air Force, one point shy of her career-high. She garnered 10 and 12 rebounds, respectively, for back-to-back double-doubles. She scored 24 points with nine rebounds against Utah Valley. She was selected as the 2017-18 Big Sky Conference Preseason MVP.
- Kapri Morrow is the only other Eagle averaging double figures, at 11.4 points per game to go with 5.6 rebounds per game. Hodgins leads the team averaging 19 points per game and 8.2 rebounds per game. She also leads with 14 blocks and 17 steals. She is third on the all-time scoring list at EWU, trailing her sister, Hayley Hodgins, who leads the list and played from 2013 to 2016.
PACKED IN MCCARTHEY:
- The Zags led the nation last season in the percentage of building capacity being filled at 93.63 percent in attendance per game.
- 5,435 fans rolled through the turnstiles for GU’s exhibition game, a 429-person increase from last year’s exhibition game.
- Gonzaga welcomed an average of 5,618 patrons per game last season to the 6,000-seat McCarthey Athletic Center.
- They were 12th in the nation in overall average attendance. Those 5,618 fans were the most in the West, with New Mexico being the closest at No. 16 with 4,719 fans per game.
- 84,266 fans passed through the gates last season, 12th in the nation and the most in the West.