April 19, 2017
WCC Champ Notes
Thursday Tee Times
WEST COAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS
THURSDAY-SATURDAY, APR. 20-22, 2017 | PROVO, UTAH | RIVERSIDE CC
PAR AND DISTANCE: Par-72 | 6,475 yards
FIRST GU TEE TIME: 8:15 am PST
LIVE SCORING: GoZags.com
LAST TIME AT EVENT: 2017 | 2nd, 23-over (887)
TOP GU INDIVIDUAL: Ciera Min | 1st, 216 (E)
LAST YEAR WAS GREAT:
- Ciara Min set a then program record 66 and won the 2016 WCC Individual Championship last season at Blackhawk Country Club in Danville, Calif. She joined Alice Kim and current assistant coach Victoria Fallgren as Bulldogs who’ve won the WCC title. Min finished with an even par 216.
- The Bulldogs finished second as a team, matching their runner-up finishes in 2014, 2013, and 2011. Their final score of 887 last year was a program record for the event and only three strokes behind winner BYU.
- Gonzaga has finished third four times, fourth 10 times, and fifth twice since the championship began in 1997.
- The Bulldogs finished ahead of perennial winner Pepperdine for the first time in school history last year.
ABOUT THE WCC CHAMPIONSHIPS:
- The tournament will feature 18 holes each day for three days with an 8:15 am PST start on Thursday for GU.
- The course is par-72 and will play 6,475 yards on Thursday, 6,420 yards on Friday, and 6,452 yards on Saturday.
- William F. Bell, golf course architect, was enlisted by the Club to design the golf course. William Bell had designed several golf courses around the west. Riverside CC opened in 1962.
- Prior to BYU’s win last season, Pepperdine had won 17 of the 19 championships, and 14 straight.
PAGDANGANAN NAMED GOLFER OF THE MONTH
- Sophomore Bianca Pagdanganan was named the WCC Golfer of the Month for the month of March.
- She shot a tournament, course, school, and West Coast Conference record 61 in her second round at the Pizza Hut Thunderbird Invitational, tying the NCAA women’s golf single-round record, held by Esther Lee of Colorado and Mariah Stackhouse of Stanford.
- She won the tournament, her second career win, with a program-record score of 130 (-14). It is the first individual win for the Zags this season and the team finished second, their best finish this year.
- For the Zags, it was the second-best 18-hole score (285) (-3) and 36-hole score (577) (+1) in team history.
- She tied her career low 54-hole score of 213 at the Silverado Showdown where she finished ninth.
- She has recorded seven of Gonzaga’s 16 rounds below par this year and been the Zags’ top finisher five times.
- She owns the three lowest GU rounds this year (61, 66, 67) and has finished under par in an event four times.
- She is currently ranked 84th in the nation by Golfweek.
MIN LEADING ONCE AGAIN, ON THE COURSE, IN THE CLASSROOM:
- Ciera Min has finished among the top five three times this year, including second-place finishes at the Ptarmigan Ram Classic and Pat Lesser Harbottle Invitational.
- Against other WCC players in stroke play, she’s 58-17-0 head-to-head...also, she’s shot below par in seven of her 25 stroke play rounds, scoring in the 60s twice, and been the Zags’ top finisher four times.
- She was selected WCC All-Academic for the third-consecutive year with a 3.51 GPA, majoring in psychology.
FRESHMAN SPRING FORCE:
- Gonzaga freshman Nina Novilla fired a career-low 71 in the second round of The Gold Rush.
- She had her best career finish at the Pizza Hut Thunderbird Invitational in 11th place.
- Freshman Jessica Mangrobang hit par for the 2nd time in her career at the Entrada Classic with a 2nd-round 72.
- Her 25th place finish at the Pizza Hut Thunderbird Invitational was her second-best finish, back by one spot.
- Freshman Diana Araneta recorded a career-low 74 in the final round of the Anuenue Spring Break Classic (233).
- Her final score of 233 was a career best and her 13th place finish at the Pizza Hut Invite was a career low.