Zags Look for 2-0 Start Sunday
Aug. 20, 2016
Gonzaga (1-0-0) vs. Oregon (0-0-1)
SUNDAY, AUG. 21, 2016 | 4:30 PM PT | WAIPAHU, HAWAII | WAIPI’O PENINSULA SOCCER STADIUM
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the 10th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Oregon. The Ducks lead the series, 6-1-2.
- This year’s meeting is the first between the programs on a neutral field.
- The teams played to a 3-3 draw in the first-ever meeting on Sept. 27, 1996, in Spokane.
- Oregon has won the last three meetings, including the most recent matchup, 4-2, on Sept. 16, 2012.
- The Zags’ lone win in the series was a 1-0 victory in Eugene, on Sept. 6, 2002.
IT’S ALL ABOUT THE START:
- This is the first-ever women’s soccer trip to Hawaii for the Bulldogs.
- Gonzaga has now won 10 of its 26 all-time season-opening matches.
- The Zags are unbeaten in their last five season-openers, dating back to the 3-1 win over South Dakota in 2012.
- GU has also won five of its last six season-opening contests, with the lone setback coming in 2011 at Illinois.
SCOUTING THE DUCKS:
- Oregon opened its season with a 1-1 draw with Hawaii in the second game of the Outrigger Classic Friday.
- The Ducks’ Kyra Fawcett opened the scoring with a goal in the third minute of the match.
- Fawcett finished the game with seven shots, while Marissa Everett and Bayley Bruner combined for nine.
- The Ducks tallied 24 shots to Hawaii’s 14 and Oregon was able to earn 13 corner kick opportunities.
- In goal, freshman Katelyn Carter made seven saves for Oregon.
- Oregon welcomed eight freshmen to the pitch this season, along with two transfers.
- The Ducks were picked 12th in the Pac-12 preseason coaches’ poll.
CAREER RECORD WATCH:
- Karley Baggerly is fourth on the program’s all-time list with 18 goals scored in her career. She needs one goal to equal the third-most in program history.
- Baggerly is also fourth on the all-time list with 45 points. She is three points away from the top three.
- Baggerly is sixth on the list with 126 career shots.
TAKING A LOOK AT THE ROSTER:
- This season, the Bulldogs return key contributors and welcome nine newcomers.
- The 2016 roster features 18 underclassmen, including nine freshmen. GU also has nine seniors coming back.
- Karley Baggerly was tabbed Second Team All-West Coast Conference last season, while Aliyah Miller was named honorable mention. Both return for their senior seasons.
- Along with Miller, Gonzaga returns other key members of its defense in 2016. Sarah Carter, Ariana Pumpelly, Jodi Ulkekul and Savanah Van Citters all appeared in every game last season.
TAKING A LOOK AT THE SCHEDULE:
- The Zags will welcome nine opponents to Luger Field this upcoming season, with six games under the new lights at GU’s soccer complex, Luger Field.
- The Bulldogs host four non-conference opponents and five West Coast Conference programs in 2016.
- Gonzaga will play in six states this season, including the program’s first trip to Hawaii.
- Outside of conference action, the Zags’ upcoming slate features four Big Sky Conference members, three Mountain West Conference teams, a pair of Pac-12 programs, and one from the Western Athletic Conference.
- The Zags end their regular season schedule against three of the top four finishers in last year’s WCC standings.
WCC PRESEASON POLL AND TEAM:
- The Zags were selected ninth in the league in the annual coaches’ preseason poll.
- Defending conference champion, BYU, received eight first-place votes.
- BYU earned 80 points and eight first place votes while No. 21 Santa Clara collected 71 points with two first place votes. Pepperdine earned 56 points to take third while No. 25 Loyola Marymount was fourth with 52 points.
- BYU had four players named to the All-WCC Preseason Team, led by last season’s conference Player of the Year, Nadia Gomes.
- Santa Clara placed a pair of players on the preseason team.
10/27/2017 - Women's Soccer Honors Four on Senior Night
10/27/2017 - BYU Pulls Away from Gonzaga
10/25/2017 - Zags Host BYU on ESPNU Thursday
10/21/2017 - Women's Soccer Suffers Setback at Portland
10/19/2017 - Women's Soccer Visits Rose City Saturday
10/15/2017 - Gonzaga Falls at No. 17 Pepperdine
10/13/2017 - Zags Play at No. 17 Pepperdine Sunday
Men's Basketball01/18/2018Women's Basketball01/13/2018Men's Basketball01/11/2018Women's Basketball01/06/2018