Women's Soccer Welcomes SMU Thursday
Aug. 23, 2017
Gonzaga (2-0-0) vs. SMU (1-0-1)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the second all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Southern Methodist.
- In the only other previous meeting, the Mustangs pulled out a 2-1 overtime win in Dallas on Sept. 21, 2014. Lauren Guerra scored both goals for SMU, she is now a senior on the roster.
- The Zags are 0-3-0 all-time versus current American Athletic Conference members, including 0-1-0 against future 2017 opponent Memphis.
SCOUTING THE MUSTANGS:
- Southern Methodist is two spots out of the national Top 25, receiving 62 votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll.
- The Mustangs opened the season with a 1-0 overtime win over No. 17 Arkansas Friday, before playing to a scoreless draw with No. 16 Oklahoma Sunday.
- In Friday’s win against No. 17 Arkansas, Claire Oates scored SMU’s lone goal of the young season, a game-winner in the 97th minute. It was her 21st career goal.
- SMU allowed just 16 combined shots (7 SOG) to No. 17 Arkansas (8 shots, 5 SOG) and No. 16 Oklahoma (8 shots, 2 SOG).
- Allie Thornton leads the team with 10 shots. Thornton, Oates and Vanessa Valadez were named Preseason All-Conference.
- Under the direction of sixth-year head coach Chris Petrucelli, SMU returns 17 student-athletes, including nine starters from its 2016 squad. SMU finished 2016 with a 13-7-2 record (6-2-1 AAC), en route to an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2006.
- The Bulldogs are 2-0-0 for only the fourth time in program history, and first since 2014.
- It’s the first time in program history that GU has opened the season with two shutout victories.
- The Zags have never been 3-0-0.
GOTTA NAMED WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
- Madeline Gotta was named the West Coast Conference Women’s Soccer Player of the Week Monday.
- Gotta is the first Bulldog to earn the honor since Sarah Rhodes was named the WCC Player of the Week on Aug. 29, 2011.
- She recorded an assist in Friday’s 4-0 season-opening win over South Dakota before finding the back of the net in a 2-0 victory over Omaha Sunday.
RACKING UP ON OFFENSE:
- Including its exhibition, Gonzaga has outscored its first three opponents 15-0.
- The Zags have also outshot their foes, 69-12, with a 39-7 advantage in shots on goal.
- GU has taken 27 corner kicks to just one for their opponents.
- All six Bulldog goals through the first two games came from six different players.
10/27/2017 - Women's Soccer Honors Four on Senior Night
10/27/2017 - BYU Pulls Away from Gonzaga
10/25/2017 - Zags Host BYU on ESPNU Thursday
10/21/2017 - Women's Soccer Suffers Setback at Portland
10/19/2017 - Women's Soccer Visits Rose City Saturday
10/15/2017 - Gonzaga Falls at No. 17 Pepperdine
10/13/2017 - Zags Play at No. 17 Pepperdine Sunday
Women's Basketball01/13/2018Men's Basketball01/11/2018Women's Basketball01/06/2018Women's Basketball01/04/2018