Women's Soccer Makes First Road Trip
Aug. 26, 2017
Gonzaga (2-0-1) at Portland State (1-1-0)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the 16th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Portland State.
- The Zags are 2-3-1 on the road all-time versus Portland State.
- Gonzaga has won six of the last seven meetings in the series. PSU won, 2-1, in Portland in 2009.
- The Bulldogs won the first-ever meeting, 3-2, on Oct. 9, 1994, in Spokane.
- The Zags won last year’s meeting, 5-2, in Spokane on Sept. 4, 2016.
SCOUTING THE VIKINGS:
- Portland State picked up a dramatic 1-0 double overtime win over Nevada at home Friday.
- Katie Forsee found the back of the net in the 104th minute from 15 yards out. She took a game-high seven shots, placing three on frame. PSU outshot the Wolfpack 18-14.
- The Vikings finished with only 10 players due to a red card in the 73rd minute.
- Abbie Faingold made eight saves in the Portland State net. She made a save on a penalty kick as well.
- The Katie Burton era opened for the Vikings last Friday with the team’s 2-1 setback against Portland.
- Burton came to the Vikings after serving as the associate head coach at her alma mater Sacramento State.
- Forsee had a performance to remember in the Vikings’ 6-1 exhibition win over Fraser Valley. Forsee scored the Vikings’ first four goals in the match and assisted on the fifth.
- Big Sky coaches picked the Portland State women’s soccer team to finish ninth in the conference’s preseason poll.
- The Bulldogs are unbeaten after three games for only the third time in program history.
- This season marked the first time in program history that GU has opened the schedule with two shutout victories.
- The Zags best start to a season was 3-0-1 in 2006. They finished that season with 10 victories.
GOTTA NAMED WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
- Madeline Gotta was named the West Coast Conference Women’s Soccer Player of the Week Monday.
- Gotta is the first Bulldog to earn the honor since Sarah Rhodes was named the WCC Player of the Week on Aug. 29, 2011.
- She recorded an assist in the 4-0 season-opening win over South Dakota before finding the back of the net in a 2-0 victory over Omaha.
RACKING UP ON OFFENSE:
- Including its exhibition, Gonzaga has outscored its first four opponents 16-1.
- The Zags have also outshot their foes, 90-28, with a 49-13 advantage in shots on goal.
- GU has taken 33 corner kicks to just 13 for their opponents.
- All seven Bulldog goals through the first three games of the regular season came from seven different players.
- After recording a hat trick in the exhibition, Maddie Kincaid scored her first goal of the regular season versus SMU.
09/15/2017 - Jencks Records Brace in Gonzaga Victory
09/13/2017 - Zags Meet Fairleigh Dickinson for the First Time
09/10/2017 - Gonzaga Grabs Comeback Victory in Denver
09/09/2017 - Women's Soccer Looks to Bounce Back at Denver
09/08/2017 - Bulldogs Drop First Game of the Season
09/06/2017 - Women's Soccer Makes Short Trip to Cheney Friday
09/03/2017 - Zags Off to Best Start in Program History
Men's Soccer09/22/2017Women's Volleyball09/21/2017Women's Basketball09/21/2017Women's Soccer09/17/2017