Women's Soccer Goes for Historic Start Sunday
Sept. 2, 2017
Gonzaga (3-0-1) vs. Hawaii (2-3-0)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the fourth all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Hawaii.
- The Zags are 0-2-0 at home all-time versus Hawaii.
- Gonzaga has been outscored 7-2 in the series all-time, and has not found the net since 1995.
- The Rainbow Wahine won the first-ever meeting, 3-2, on Oct. 24, 1995, in Spokane.
- Hawaii won the last meeting, 3-0, at the Montana Fall Classic on Sept. 26, 2004.
SCOUTING THE RAINBOW WAHINE:
- Hawaii is coming off of a tough 1-0 setback at Idaho Friday, after surrendering a goal in the 75th minute.
- Both teams placed five shots on frame, but Idaho had a 20-7 advantage in total shots.
- Alexis Mata made four saves for Hawaii, while five different UH players had a shot on goal.
- The Rainbow Wahine opened the season with a pair of 2-1 overtime victories at home over Utah Valley and Fairfield, but have lost the last three contests by a combined score of 4-0.
- After opening the season at home with four games, Hawaii is in the beginning of a seven-game road stretch.
- Raisa Strom-Okimoto earned preseason all-Big West honors in the league’s annual preseason poll.
- Strom-Okimoto turned in a first-team all-Big West performance as a sophomore, leading the league with eight assists and adding six goals to lead UH with 20 points. She has two goals this season, with a team-high four points.
- The Bulldogs are unbeaten after four games for only the second time in program history.
- Gonzaga’s best start to a season was 3-0-1 in 2006. They finished that season with 10 victories.
- This season marked the first time in program history that GU has opened the schedule with two shutout victories.
RACKING UP ON OFFENSE:
- Gonzaga has outscored its first four opponents 9-2.
- The Zags have also outshot their foes, 73-36, with a 34-17 advantage in shots on goal.
- GU has taken 29 corner kicks to just 15 for their opponents.
- The Bulldogs’ first seven goals of the regular season came from seven different players.
ON THE MOTHERSHIP:
- Gonzaga’s match against BYU on Oct. 26, will be televised nationally on ESPNU the West Coast Conference announced.
- As part of the West Coast Conference’s agreement with ESPN, one key regular season women’s soccer match will appear on ESPNU and WatchESPN.
- Gonzaga will host preseason No. 8 BYU from Luger Field in a meeting that will have first-year GU head coach Chris Watkins facing his former school. Watkins spent the past 21 seasons as an associate head coach for BYU.
- The start time for the match has changed from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
09/15/2017 - Jencks Records Brace in Gonzaga Victory
09/13/2017 - Zags Meet Fairleigh Dickinson for the First Time
09/10/2017 - Gonzaga Grabs Comeback Victory in Denver
09/09/2017 - Women's Soccer Looks to Bounce Back at Denver
09/08/2017 - Bulldogs Drop First Game of the Season
09/06/2017 - Women's Soccer Makes Short Trip to Cheney Friday
09/03/2017 - Zags Off to Best Start in Program History
Men's Soccer09/22/2017Women's Volleyball09/21/2017Women's Basketball09/21/2017Women's Soccer09/17/2017