Women's Soccer Makes Short Trip to Cheney Friday
Sept. 6, 2017
Gonzaga (4-0-1) at Eastern Washington (3-2-1)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the 21st all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Eastern Washington. The Zags lead the series, 16-3-1.
- Gonzaga has won the last 12 meetings in the series, dating back to a 2-1 loss in Spokane in 2002.
- The Bulldogs won the first-ever meeting, 10-1, on Sept. 22, 1998, in Spokane.
- Last year’s matchup was 61st minute due to inclement weather. The Eagles led 2-1 with 29 minutes left in regulation, but the match was not resumed after a lengthy lightning delay.
- The Zags won the last regular season meeting, 3-0, in Spokane on Sept. 17, 2013.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES:
- Eastern Washington is coming off of a 3-1 win at Cornell last Sunday.
- Chloe Williams scored the first goal of the game, and is now tied for the Big Sky record in career points with 87.
- Emily Busselman made three saves for the Eagles.
- Coming off the bench, Allison Raniere scored the other goal for EWU and had four shots, two of them being on goal. Eastern outshot Cornell 17-5 and also had nine shots on goal from six different players.
- The road win snapped a three-game losing streak, after starting the season with wins over Omaha and South Dakota.
- Eastern Washington has outshot every opponent so far this season.
- Williams has a goal and an assist this season, with a team-high 23 shots taken. Kelsee Winston has a team-high 13 saves.
ZAGS MAKE HISTORY:
- Gonzaga’s 4-0 win over Hawaii gave the Zags the best start to a season in program history at 4-0-1.
- The Bulldogs are unbeaten after five games for the first time in program history.
- Gonzaga’s previous best start to a season was 3-0-1 in 2006. They finished that season with 10 victories.
- This season marked the first time in program history that GU has opened the schedule with two shutout victories.
RACKING UP ON OFFENSE:
- Gonzaga has outscored its first five opponents 13-2.
- The Zags have also outshot their foes, 96-42, with a 43-19 advantage in shots on goal.
- GU has taken 37 corner kicks to just 18 for their opponents.
- The Bulldogs’ 19.2 shots per game ranks 12th in the nation and tops the West Coast Conference.
- Gonzaga’s Callie Best, Madeline Gotta, India Jencks and Sophia Viviano all have six points after five games.
- The four Zags rank third in the West Coast Conference for most points in the league.
- Jencks tops the league with 16 shots in just four games, an average of four per game. She is second in the WCC in shots per game (1.5), goals (3) and goals per game (0.75). Best is also second with three goals this season.
- Viviano and Jodi Ulkekul are second in the conference with two assists this season.
09/15/2017 - Jencks Records Brace in Gonzaga Victory
09/13/2017 - Zags Meet Fairleigh Dickinson for the First Time
09/10/2017 - Gonzaga Grabs Comeback Victory in Denver
09/09/2017 - Women's Soccer Looks to Bounce Back at Denver
09/08/2017 - Bulldogs Drop First Game of the Season
09/06/2017 - Women's Soccer Makes Short Trip to Cheney Friday
09/03/2017 - Zags Off to Best Start in Program History
Men's Soccer09/22/2017Women's Volleyball09/21/2017Women's Basketball09/21/2017Women's Soccer09/17/2017