Women's Soccer Welcomes Nationally-Ranked Memphis
Sept. 16, 2017
Gonzaga (6-1-1) vs. RV/23 Memphis (6-2-0)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the second all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Memphis.
- Valerie Sanderson’s header in the 102nd minute gave Memphis women’s soccer a 1-0 double-overtime victory on Sept. 26, 2015. The late goal came on Memphis’ 14th shot in the Zags’ final non-conference game of the season.
- The Zags are 0-3-1 all-time versus current American Athletic Conference members, including a 1-1 draw against SMU earlier this season.
SCOUTING THE TIGERS:
- Memphis was upset at Idaho Friday, 5-4. The Tigers led 4-1 after 66 minutes, but Idaho rallied for the stunning win.
- Jessica Lisi scored a pair of goals for Memphis, and Marie Levasseur had two assists.
- Memphis is three spots out of the United Soccer Coaches’ poll, but No. 23 in TopDrawer Soccer’s ranking.
- The Tigers rank at the top of the American Athletic Conference in many categories of which some of those categories rank in the nation’s top 25 as well. With 2.71 goals per match, the Tigers rank 12th in the NCAA and first in the AAC.
- Other top 25 categories include goals-against average, points per game, save percentage, shots on goal per game, total goals, total points, and won-lost-tied percentage.
- Goalkeeper Rachel Ashworth Shepard ranks 14th in the nation with four shutouts to-date. She also is 23rd in the NCAA in save percentage and 22nd in goals against average.
- Memphis’ dynamic offense has produced eight different goal scorers this season and four of those players have at least two goals.
INDIA IS HEATING UP:
- India Jencks has scored six goals in the last four games.
- Her seven goals this season leads the West Coast Conference, along with her 1.00 goal per game average.
- She also leads the league in total points (14) and points per game (2.00).
- Jencks ranks 19th in the country with seven goals scored this season and 23rd with 1.00 goals per game.
- She is tied for eighth in the top-10 in program history for most goals in a single season.
- Sunday Funday: Gonzaga is a perfect 4-0-0 on Sunday so far this season, outscoring opponents 10-2.
- Six already: The Zags’ six wins eight games into the season, equals last season’s win total.
- Home Sweet Home: GU is 4-0-1 at home this season, outscoring opponents 16-2, and outshooting foes 99-39.
A START FOR THE BOOKS:
- Gonzaga’s 4-0 win over Hawaii gave the Zags the best start to a season in program history at 4-0-1.
- The Bulldogs were unbeaten after five games for the first time in program history.
- Gonzaga’s previous best start to a season was 3-0-1 in 2006. They finished that season with 10 victories.
10/27/2017 - Women's Soccer Honors Four on Senior Night
10/27/2017 - BYU Pulls Away from Gonzaga
10/25/2017 - Zags Host BYU on ESPNU Thursday
10/21/2017 - Women's Soccer Suffers Setback at Portland
10/19/2017 - Women's Soccer Visits Rose City Saturday
10/15/2017 - Gonzaga Falls at No. 17 Pepperdine
10/13/2017 - Zags Play at No. 17 Pepperdine Sunday
Women's Basketball12/17/2017Men's Basketball12/16/2017Athletics12/13/2017Women's Basketball12/09/2017