Women's Soccer Closes Non-Conference Slate Sunday
Sept. 22, 2017
Gonzaga (7-1-1) vs. Seattle (4-4-1)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the eighth all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Seattle. The Redhawks lead the series, 5-2-0.
- The Redhawks have won two of the three all-time matchups in Spokane.
- Seattle has won the last three meetings, 1-0 in overtime in 2012, 1-0 in 2015 in Spokane, and 1-0 last year in Seattle.
- Gonzaga’s last win in the series was a 2-0 victory on Sept. 30, 2011, in Seattle.
- Seattle won the first all-time meeting, 7-0, in Seattle on Nov. 2, 1991.
SCOUTING THE REDHAWKS:
- Seattle is coming off of a 1-1 draw with Portland Friday.
- The Redhawks’ Jessie Ray scored in the 18th minute. Portland scored the equalizer in the 62nd minute.
- Mackenzie Curry made four saves for SU. Ray took a team-high four shots, placing two on frame.
- Curry has made 18 saves this season. She has appeared in nine matches for Seattle.
- Ray has taken a team-high 24 shots for the Redhawks this season, scoring a team-best seven goals.
- Leahi Manthei has scored five goals. Eight of her 14 shots this season have been on goal.
- Hannah Carrothers leads the team with three assists. Several other players have two assists.
- Seattle has been outscored 10-6 in the first half this season, but lead the second half, 11-5.
- The Redhawks have outshot their opponents 103-78 so far this season.
JENCKS NAMED WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
- India Jencks was named the West Coast Conference Women’s Soccer Player of the Week Monday.
- Jencks recorded a brace in both Gonzaga victories over the weekend to lead the way for the 7-1-1 Bulldogs.
- The sophomore found the back of the net twice in Friday’s 5-1 win over Fairleigh Dickinson and twice in the Zags’ 3-2 upset over No. 23 Memphis.
- All three of Jencks’ shots versus FDU were on goal, while three of her four against Memphis were on frame.
- The torrid pace improves the sophomore to eight goals in the last five games, and nine for the season.
- On Aug. 21, Madeline Gotta was the first Bulldog to earn the honor since Sarah Rhodes was named the WCC Player of the Week on August 29, 2011.
- Big win: The win against Memphis marked the first time that Gonzaga has beaten a ranked team in 10 years. It was only the sixth victory over a ranked team in program history in 75 tries.
- Scoring machines: The Zags have already equaled last season’s goal total of 24.
- Sharing is caring: GU is eight assists shy of tying the single season record for most assists in a season with 29.
- Sunday Funday: Gonzaga is a perfect 5-0-0 on Sunday so far this season, outscoring opponents 13-4.
- Seven already: The Zags’ seven wins nine games into the season, passed last season’s win total. Gonzaga has only reached seven wins 14 times since the program started in 1991.
- Home Sweet Home: GU is 5-0-1 at home this season, outscoring opponents 19-4, and outshooting foes 110-49.
10/27/2017 - Women's Soccer Honors Four on Senior Night
10/27/2017 - BYU Pulls Away from Gonzaga
10/25/2017 - Zags Host BYU on ESPNU Thursday
10/21/2017 - Women's Soccer Suffers Setback at Portland
10/19/2017 - Women's Soccer Visits Rose City Saturday
10/15/2017 - Gonzaga Falls at No. 17 Pepperdine
10/13/2017 - Zags Play at No. 17 Pepperdine Sunday
Men's Basketball12/16/2017Athletics12/13/2017Women's Basketball12/09/2017Women's Basketball12/02/2017