Zags Look for Win Number Ten Sunday
Sept. 30, 2017
Gonzaga (9-1-1, 1-0-0) at Saint Mary’s (5-6-0, 1-0-0)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the 25th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s. The Gaels lead the series, 13-9-2.
- The Bulldogs are 3-6-3 all-time in Moraga in the series, after losing the first six matchups at SMC.
- Gonzaga has won three of the last four meetings, with a 1-1 draw coming in the last matchup in Moraga in 2015.
- The Zags won last year’s meeting, 2-1. Taylor Kernion and Mari Kneisel scored goals for GU.
- Saint Mary’s won 10 of the first 11 meetings in the series, while GU has won seven of the last 12.
- The Gaels won the first all-time meeting, 6-1, in Spokane on Oct. 17, 1993.
SCOUTING THE GAELS:
- Saint Mary’s is coming off of 2-1 win over Portland at home Friday.
- Kelsey Hill and Hannah Diaz both found the back of the net in the second half.
- The Gaels outshot Portland, 8-7. SMC has been outshot this season, 98-90.
- Saint Mary’s defense has been top notch this season, allowing just 12 goals through 11 games, with two of those being on penalty kicks. The Gaels have scored a team total of 10 goals and are averaging 8.27 shots per game.
- Diaz leads the team in points (11), goals (5), shots (19), shots on goal (7) and game winning goals (3).
- In last week’s action, freshman keeper Sonja Rajatalo went 1-1 to capture her first career win as a Gael. The native of Finland shutout UC Davis for her first career clean sheet. Rajatalo has allowed just three goals in her three starts.
- Saint Mary’s is 2-2-0 away from Moraga this season, and has won three of its seven matches at home.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS:
- Gonzaga has the 12th best scoring offense in the nation, averaging 2.60 goals per game.
- The Zags top the WCC in scoring offense (2.60), total goals (26, 13th in NCAA), points per game (7.40, 18th in NCAA), total points (74, 18th in NCAA), assists per game (2.20, 25th in NCAA), total assists (22) and shots per game (7.80).
- India Jencks is third in the country averaging a goal per game. She is fifth in the NCAA with nine goals and ninth averaging 2.11 points per game. Her 19 total points ranks 13th in the nation.
- GU is five assists shy of tying the most assists in a single season with 29. The Bulldogs are six goals away from equaling the most goals in a single season with 34.
- Jencks needs four goals to tie the program record for most goals in a single season at 13.
- Winning: The Zags’ nine wins, 11 games into the season, has surpassed the last two seasons win totals combined.
- Double Bubble: GU has reached double-digit wins in a single-season only five times in program history, last time in 2007.
- Sunday Funday: Gonzaga is a perfect 6-0-0 on Sunday so far this season, outscoring opponents 15-5.
- Off to a Good Start: The Bulldogs are 8-0-1 when scoring first this season, and 5-0-1 when leading at the half.
- Streaky: GU has now won five straight games three times in program history (2003- 5 straight and 2005- 7 straight).
- Big win: The win against Memphis marked the first time that Gonzaga has beaten a ranked team in 10 years. It was only the sixth victory over a ranked team in program history in 75 tries.
10/27/2017 - Women's Soccer Honors Four on Senior Night
10/27/2017 - BYU Pulls Away from Gonzaga
10/25/2017 - Zags Host BYU on ESPNU Thursday
10/21/2017 - Women's Soccer Suffers Setback at Portland
10/19/2017 - Women's Soccer Visits Rose City Saturday
10/15/2017 - Gonzaga Falls at No. 17 Pepperdine
10/13/2017 - Zags Play at No. 17 Pepperdine Sunday
Women's Basketball12/17/2017Men's Basketball12/16/2017Athletics12/13/2017Women's Basketball12/09/2017