Zags Play at No. 17 Pepperdine Sunday
Oct. 13, 2017
Gonzaga (10-3-1, 2-2-0) at Pepperdine (9-2-2, 3-0-0)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the 25th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Pepperdine. The Waves lead the series, 17-5-2.
- The Waves have a 6-3-2 advantage in the meetings in Malibu.
- Pepperdine has won five of the last six meetings, with a 1-1 draw coming in Spokane in 2014.
- The Waves coasted to a 5-0 win in Spokane last season, scoring four goals in the first half.
- Gonzaga’s last win in the series was a 1-0 overtime home victory on Oct. 15, 2010.
- Pepperdine won the first all-time meeting, 4-1, in Malibu on Nov. 1, 1993.
SCOUTING THE WAVES:
- The Waves played one game against PCH Cup rival LMU, beating the Lions 1-0 on the road thanks to a 74th minute goal from Calista Reyes.
- Pepperdine is unbeaten in its last seven games, going 6-0-1 during that stretch. The Waves have also not allowed a goal in its last four games, including all three WCC matchups so far.
- The Pepperdine defense has been stellar this year, giving up just five goals in 13 games and posting eight shutouts. The Waves currently have a 434-minute scoreless streak going and had a 338-minute scoreless streak snapped earlier in the year.
- The team’s 0.37 goals against average ranks 6th in the country and first in the WCC.
- Pepperdine busted into the national rankings last week at No. 18 in the coaches’ poll and moved up to No. 17 this week. The Waves also sit at No. 22 in the Top Drawer Soccer rankings, No. 25 in the Soccer America Rankings and are No. 15 in RPI.
- Callie Best’s penalty kick goal in the 70th minute against Santa Clara was the Bulldogs’ 35th of the season, snapping the previous records set in 1997 and 1999.
- GU is one assist away from equaling the record for most assists in a single season.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS:
- Gonzaga has the eighth best scoring offense in the nation with 35 goals, averaging 2.50 goals per game (12th in NCAA).
- The Zags top the WCC in scoring offense (2.50), total goals (35), points per game (7.00), total points (98), assists per game (2.00), total assists (28), corner kicks per game (6.00), shots on goal (7.79) and shots per game (16.6).
- Sophia Viviano is 13th in the country with four game-winning goals. Her 21 total points ranks 30th in the nation.
- India Jencks is 20th in the NCAA with nine goals.
- Jencks needs four goals to tie the program record for most goals in a single season at 13.
- Winning: The Zags’ 10 wins, 13 games into the season, has surpassed the last two seasons win totals combined.
- Double Bubble: GU has now reached double-digit wins in a single-season six times in program history.
- Off to a Good Start: The Bulldogs are 9-0-1 when scoring first this season, and 6-0-1 when leading at the half.
02/07/2018 - Carson Joins Gonzaga WSOC
02/07/2018 - Hale Joins Gonzaga WSOC
02/07/2018 - Maas Joins Gonzaga WSOC
02/07/2018 - Braun Joins Gonzaga WSOC
11/22/2017 - Helm Named Academic All-West Coast Conference
11/07/2017 - Zag Trio Earns Postseason All-WCC Recognitions
11/04/2017 - Zags End Season with 2-1 Setback at LMU