Women's Soccer Visits Rose City Saturday
Oct. 19, 2017
Gonzaga (10-4-1, 2-3-0) at Portland (4-10-1, 1-4-0)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the 26th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Portland. The Pilots lead the series, 24-0-1.
- The Pilots have a 12-0-0 advantage in the meetings in Portland.
- Portland has won the last four meetings. The Pilots scored a goal in the 89th minute in last season’s 2-1 win in Spokane.
- The lone draw in the series was the 2012 meeting in Spokane, 1-1.
- Portland won the first all-time meeting, 12-0, in Spokane on Sept. 7, 1992.
SCOUTING THE PILOTS:
- Portland’s last two contests have gone to double overtime, with the Pilots winning their latest match at Loyola Marymount, 2-1.
- That win snapped a four-game losing streak and was the first conference victory of the season for Portland.
- Seven different Pilots have scored this season, and Larkin Russell and H. Griffiths Boston both have a team-high two goals.
- Griffiths Boston also has an assist and leads the team with five points.
- Rachel Lusby has played every minute in the net for the Pilots. She has a 1.35 goals against average with 78 saves.
- Portland has been outscored this season 21-10, including 8-1 in the first half.
- Opponents have outshot the Pilots, 229-127, an average of 15-8 per game.
- Callie Best’s penalty kick goal in the 70th minute against Santa Clara was the Bulldogs’ 35th of the season, snapping the previous records set in 1997 and 1999.
- Gonzaga’s 98 points this year also broke the program record for most points in a single season.
- GU is one assist away from equaling the record for most assists in a single season.
- India Jencks needs four goals to tie the program record for most goals in a single season at 13. Sophia Viviano is five goals away from the program record.
- Viviano is 11 points shy of matching the GU record for most points in a single season (32), while Jencks is 12 points away.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS:
- Gonzaga has the 17th best scoring offense in the nation with 35 goals, averaging 2.33 goals per game (19th in NCAA).
- The Zags top the WCC in scoring offense (2.33), total goals (35), points per game (6.53), total points (98), assists per game (1.87), total assists (28), and corner kicks per game (5.73).
- Sophia Viviano is 21st in the country with four game-winning goals.
- India Jencks is 35th in the NCAA with nine goals.
- Under the Lights: Gonzaga is unbeaten in night games this season, winning five times and drawing once.
- Off to a Good Start: The Bulldogs are 9-0-1 when scoring first this season, and 6-0-1 when leading at the half.
02/07/2018 - Carson Joins Gonzaga WSOC
02/07/2018 - Hale Joins Gonzaga WSOC
02/07/2018 - Maas Joins Gonzaga WSOC
02/07/2018 - Braun Joins Gonzaga WSOC
11/22/2017 - Helm Named Academic All-West Coast Conference
11/07/2017 - Zag Trio Earns Postseason All-WCC Recognitions
11/04/2017 - Zags End Season with 2-1 Setback at LMU