Zags Host BYU on ESPNU Thursday
Oct. 25, 2017
Gonzaga (10-5-1, 2-4-0) vs. BYU (5-6-4, 2-2-1)
ABOUT THE SERIES:
- This is the 10th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and BYU. The Cougars lead the series, 9-0-0.
- The Cougars have won all four matches in the series in Spokane by a 9-2 margin.
- BYU cruised to a 6-0 victory in Provo last season. It was the regular season finale for both teams.
- In the last meeting in Spokane, BYU scored a late goal to pull away with a 1-0 win in 2015.
- Nadia Gomes scored the game-winner in the 70th minute for then-ranked No. 6 BYU.
- The Cougars won the first all-time meeting, 4-0, in Provo on Oct. 13, 1995.
SCOUTING THE COUGARS:
- BYU is coming off of a scoreless draw at home with Loyola Marymount Saturday.
- The Cougars finished with 29 shots to LMU’s 12. Nadia Gomes and Madie Lyons Mathews led BYU women’s soccer with five shots, while Mikayla Colohan recorded four shots. Hannah Clark made a pair of saves in the Cougar net.
- Brigham Young has played four overtime contests this season.
- BYU will finish regular season play on a four-game road trip, beginning at Gonzaga.
- Mathews has scored a team-high six goals and has a team-best 14 points with two assists. Gomes has four goals.
- Clark has a goal against average of 1.19 with 49 saves and a .742 save percentage.
- Callie Best’s penalty kick goal in the 70th minute against Santa Clara was the Bulldogs’ 35th of the season, snapping the previous records set in 1997 and 1999.
- Gonzaga’s 98 points this year also broke the program record for most points in a single season.
- GU is one assist away from equaling the record for most assists in a single season.
- India Jencks needs four goals to tie the program record for most goals in a single season at 13. Sophia Viviano is five goals away from the program record.
- Viviano is 11 points shy of matching the GU record for most points in a single season (32), while Jencks is 12 points away.
- Viviano and Madeline Gotta have five assists this season, two away from tying the program record.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS:
- Gonzaga has the 32nd best scoring offense in the nation with 35 goals, averaging 2.19 goals per game (23rd in NCAA).
- The Zags top the WCC in scoring offense (2.19), points per game (6.13), total points (98), assists per game (1.75), shots on goal per game (7.38).
- Sophia Viviano is 28th in the country with four game-winning goals. India Jencks is 55th in the NCAA with nine goals.
- Right Place, Right Time: Gonzaga is 7-1-1 at home this season and 5-1-1 in night games.
- Off to a Good Start: The Bulldogs are 9-0-1 when scoring first this season, and 6-0-1 when leading at the half.
10/27/2017 - BYU Pulls Away from Gonzaga
10/25/2017 - Zags Host BYU on ESPNU Thursday
10/21/2017 - Women's Soccer Suffers Setback at Portland
10/19/2017 - Women's Soccer Visits Rose City Saturday
10/15/2017 - Gonzaga Falls at No. 17 Pepperdine
10/13/2017 - Zags Play at No. 17 Pepperdine Sunday
10/08/2017 - Zags Break Goal Record in Setback to Santa Clara
Women's Volleyball11/20/2017Men's Basketball11/18/2017Men's Basketball11/14/2017Women's Volleyball11/11/2017