Bulldogs Beat Wind, Cold, and Cal Poly
March 18, 2017
RENO, Nev.— With morning temperatures in the 50s and wind gusts approaching 20 miles an hour, the Gonzaga University women’s tennis team faced difficult outdoor playing conditions Saturday but the Bulldogs adapted en route to their fourth sweep of the season, a 7-0 win over Cal Poly in Reno, Nev.
“I was really happy with the way the team bounced back today, especially with the tough conditions,” said Gonzaga head coach D.J. Gurule. “The team was focused and it showed in their play.”
The Zags got their first look at both the weather and Cal Poly in doubles play, where they won the two matches that finished. On court three, Kate Ketels and Haruna Tsuruta teamed up for the first time since Feb. 26 and combined for a 6-1 win, their third as a doubles team. Up one court, Sophie Whittle and Graciela Rosas clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 victory in their first match as a pair this season. The No. 1 doubles contest was left unfinished.
Gonzaga also won all five singles matches that were played – Cal Poly could not field a full lineup due to injury and ceded the No. 6 singles point to Domonique Garley and the Bulldogs. With Garley’s point putting Gonzaga up 2-0 in the dual, Tsuruta and Ketels quickly clinched the team victory with wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively. Tsuruta downed Abigail Bacharach 6-1, 6-0, and Ketels also won 12 of 13 games against Celine Gruaz. They are both tied with Nevada Apollo for the team lead with 16 singles victories this season.
On court two, Whittle downed Seriana Saltzen 6-0, 6-3, and Rosas beat Molly Reed 6-3, 6-1 one court down. Finally, Apollo confirmed the sweep with a three-set win at No. 1 singles, downing Susanne Boyden 6-0, 5-7, 1-0 (4).
With the win, the Zags advanced to 8-1 on the season with all duals coming against non-conference foes. They’ll remain in Reno for their non-conference finale: an 11:00 a.m. contest at Nevada Sunday, March 19.
Mar 18, 2017 at Reno, Nevada
1. Apollo, Nevada (GON) def. BOYDEN, Susanne (CP) 6-0, 5-7, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Whittle, Sophie (GON) def. SALTZEN, Seriana (CP) 6-0, 6-3
3. Rosas, Graciela (GON) def. REED, Molly (CP) 6-3, 6-1
4. Tsuruta, Haruna (GON) def. BACHARACH, Abigail (CP) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ketels, Kate (GON) def. GRUAZ, Celine (CP) 6-0, 6-1
6. Garley, Domonique (GON) def. No player (CP), by walkover
1. APOLLO, Nevada/GARLEY, Domonique (GON) vs. SALTZEN, Seriana/REED, Molly (CP) 4-5, unfinished
2. WHITTLE, Sophie/ROSAS, Graciela (GON) def. BOYDEN, Susanne/BACHARACH, Abigail (CP) 6-3
3. KETELS, Kate/TSURUTA, Haruna (GON) def. OXNEVAD, Louise/GRUAZ, Celine (CP) 6-1
Cal Poly 0-9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,5,2,3,1)
04/25/2018 - WTEN’s Whittle Leads Five Zags on All-WCC
04/24/2018 - Women’s Tennis Signs Medvedcova to NLI
04/21/2018 - Bourguignon Leads 4-0 Senior Day Sweep for Women's Tennis
04/20/2018 - Women’s Tennis Returns Home for Senior Day
04/17/2018 - WTEN’s Whittle Named WCC Singles Player of the Week
04/15/2018 - Women's Tennis Sweeps Pacific, 4-0
04/14/2018 - Women’s Tennis Falls at Saint Mary’s, 4-3